Discuss 2396 is it a waste of time in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon all

I have been doing some research over that past few days and frustratingly the JIB will only grade me as a Labourer! I have:-

C&G 2360 Part 1
C&G 2360 Part 2 (minus science)
C&G Level 3 BS7671 18th edition
C&G NVQ Level 2 Installing Electrotechnical Systems
C&G 2392 Level 2 Fundamantal inspection, testing and initial verification
C&G 2394 Level 3 initial verification and certification of electrical installations
C&G 2395 Level 3 periodic Inspection testing and certification of electrical installations.

Now as you can see I haven't completed a NVQ3 or my AM2, solely due to the fact i was made redundant due to the closure of the company who i did my apprenticeship with. Now being young and stupid i decided to go down the easier path installing high end security systems, however i dislike the industry.

So I thought I would do my 2396 hoping i could get away from security, i have almost 20 years experience within the electrical and security industry. Disappointingly The JIB handbook states I'm only graded as a labourer and i would need to complete the mature candidate assessment and an AM2 before i could get near approved status. Problem is i doubt there would be much call for a labourer in his mid 30s to get support to complete both whilst trying to look after a young family and keep the roof over your heads.

Im funding the 2396 myself and completing it in my own time. With hard work and revision i don't think the Level4 2396 will be too far out of my grasp. And the assignment i shall just treat like any other job i quote as i now mainly work in the office quoting small electrical works and EICR remedial as well as security installations.

Question is to you guys, am i just wasting my time?.............and money?

All depends what you want out of the qualification. I did mine to further my knowledge and give me a bit more weight for arguing the ---- with customers.
ditto.i also did it to further my knowledge.

i don’t believe it will help with jib, but it’s an impressive qualification that most people fail or don’t finish.

very rewarding experience when I completed mine.

Afternoon all

I have been doing some research over that past few days and frustratingly the JIB will only grade me as a Labourer! I have:-

C&G 2360 Part 1
C&G 2360 Part 2 (minus science)
C&G Level 3 BS7671 18th edition
C&G NVQ Level 2 Installing Electrotechnical Systems
C&G 2392 Level 2 Fundamantal inspection, testing and initial verification
C&G 2394 Level 3 initial verification and certification of electrical installations
C&G 2395 Level 3 periodic Inspection testing and certification of electrical installations.

Now as you can see I haven't completed a NVQ3 or my AM2, solely due to the fact i was made redundant due to the closure of the company who i did my apprenticeship with. Now being young and stupid i decided to go down the easier path installing high end security systems, however i dislike the industry.

So I thought I would do my 2396 hoping i could get away from security, i have almost 20 years experience within the electrical and security industry. Disappointingly The JIB handbook states I'm only graded as a labourer and i would need to complete the mature candidate assessment and an AM2 before i could get near approved status. Problem is i doubt there would be much call for a labourer in his mid 30s to get support to complete both whilst trying to look after a young family and keep the roof over your heads.

Im funding the 2396 myself and completing it in my own time. With hard work and revision i don't think the Level4 2396 will be too far out of my grasp. And the assignment i shall just treat like any other job i quote as i now mainly work in the office quoting small electrical works and EICR remedial as well as security installations.

Question is to you guys, am i just wasting my time?.............and money?
Not trying to add to your woes but I noticed you didn’t complete your part 2 minus the science is that correct? The criteria from the guilds is that they no longer recognise the qualification as it’s greater than 5 yrs old unless it’s complete, so you would have to complete the mature candidate route or retake level 3. If you don’t do the NVQ you won’t be recognised by the JIB. The 2396 is a great course if you want to get into and fully understand the design aspect, however few people have this. If I was you I would go the management route.

The 2396 is definitely worth doing. However I think you'll find the project is a little bit more involved than just quoting for a job. The hardest bit is putting time aside to focus on it, especially with a young family.

As you said, the JIB require a minimum of NVQ level 3 to get a gold card. You might be able to get a black card though if you're in a management position?

The 2396 is definitely worth doing. However I think you'll find the project is a little bit more involved than just quoting for a job. The hardest bit is putting time aside to focus on it, especially with a young family.

As you said, the JIB require a minimum of NVQ level 3 to get a gold card. You might be able to get a black card though if you're in a management position?
Yeah I'm going for the black card. Project almost complete. Design all finalised and drawings visiod up. Cable calcs all done and disconnection times confirmed. Just working though the C&G criteria in order to finish it. Hopping to submit by the end of March.

Reply to 2396 is it a waste of time in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net