Discuss 28% saving on Electricity Usage in Winter !! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hell, we are getting sad, Saturday night and we should be down the pub, and here we are talking about the best way to heat a fish tank..
Sorry chaps I am off, there is a pint with my name on it
Cheers.

Last year average per day this bill period( 04/12/11 to 20/03/12) was 25.87 kWh, this bill year dropped to average 18.55kWh per day (REDUCTION OF 28.29%). This is for a 10 year old Semi-detached, Medium sized 3 bed house with conservatory. Usual kitchen gizmos. 2 Adults and a Child. A couple of years ago changed 90% lights over to LED bulbs, put various things on timers and eco-switches.

Pv System = 6 x Sanyo N240SE with SMA 1200 Invertor.
Not my first choice of system but I got caught up in the December rush and stock shortages.
But comparing well with other systems locally on pvoutput.

Have I understood you correctly? You are generating an average of over 7 kWh per DAY, in winter, with a 1.44 kW peak system?
So it produces equivalent to nearly 5 hours at pEAK POWER in the winter? I have 15 of these panels and did nowhere near that over the winter - though up to 15 kWh + on a good day now.........

I have just had my first Electricity bill in since having solar panels fitted. A small 1.44kw Sanyo HIT System SSE facing - No Shade. The figures show we have used 28 % less electricity (graphs show comparison against last years usage on EDF bill) even through the depths of winter. Hopefully in the summer months the Solar panels will kick in higher savings, hopefully 60% ish. My system is running around 8% better than estimated to date.
EDF can manage to send their Bills out on time, shame about getting the FIT contracts out. INSTALLED 26/11/11 and still waiting for contract!!!!

Good to hear that you are making a saving, however IMO, you wont be able to make any further saving in the summer, infact you will make less.... as you will naturally will use less during daytime hours as myself & FB pointed out weeks ago on another thread.

The only way you will be able to increase your saving is by using more electricity during production hrs ( ie. heating water, washing, tumberdryer etc ), or make your home more efficient by replacing halogens and similar high wattage bulbs with 3Watt LEDS and purchasing more efficient white goods on replacement or invest in a battery backup system like the SunnyBack, which can feed back through the Inverter ( at night) excess energy stored in DC batteries during the day

FYI- I spoke to the EDF Greeen Team only the other week and they are currently on NOV 2011 FiT app's now.... so can I suggest you call them on their FREE 0800 no and findout whats the status of your application as you ONLY have 10days to respond to the contract which they prefer to send you via email. If you havent received it and they have already sent it... dont panic, tell them this and they will give you extra time to respond to the contract papers been resent

hth

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my contract from EDF finally sent to me via email yesterday. (Took nearly 4 months!!)
AQUINAS_QUARK1
In the previous post I explained that my usage has dropped against the same period last year by roughy 7Kwh per day as quoted by EDF on their latest bill. My system has generated around 180 Kwh in this time - which equates to approx 2 kwh per day. I don't seem to of changed anything else since last year, I presume the other savings are down to the relatively mild winter here in sunny Norfolk.

Got my contract from EDF finally sent to me via email yesterday. (Took nearly 4 months!!)
AQUINAS_QUARK1
In the previous post I explained that my usage has dropped against the same period last year by roughy 7Kwh per day as quoted by EDF on their latest bill. My system has generated around 180 Kwh in this time - which equates to approx 2 kwh per day. I don't seem to of changed anything else since last year, I presume the other savings are down to the relatively mild winter here in sunny Norfolk.

Sounds like you are just NOT making use of the generated power during your peak generation hrs by the sounds of it

Reply to 28% saving on Electricity Usage in Winter !! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net