Discuss 3 phase and immersion heaters - please advise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oddbods

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

i thought id join your forum to get some advice...

i run run an exterior cleaning company and we carry large amounts of water on our vans, during the depths of winter we heat the water with immersion heaters so far this has not been a problem as I've use 16 amp sockets etc..

we we have now moved into a bigger industrial unit which has loads of 3 phase sockets, and limited supply of single phase, my question to you guys is....

can an I use the 3 phase to power immersion heaters ? Will it be safe ? Can I just plug them in or should I have/need some special bits and bobs

thanks in advance
darran

If you have 3-phase 5-pin sockets (i.e. TP+N+E) of the same rating as the single-phase ones you have been using, then it would normally be possible to use your single-phase heaters by fitting TP+N+E plugs and wiring the heater to one of the three phases. However some 3-phase sockets and circuits, such as those used for machine tools, don't include a neutral connection (i.e. they are just TP+E). These would not be suitable to supply a single-phase 230V heater.

If you have 3-phase 5-pin sockets (i.e. TP+N+E) of the same rating as the single-phase ones you have been using, then it would normally be possible to use your single-phase heaters by fitting TP+N+E plugs and wiring the heater to one of the three phases. However some 3-phase sockets and circuits, such as those used for machine tools, don't include a neutral connection (i.e. they are just TP+E). These would not be suitable to supply a single-phase 230V heater.

Thats great information many thx :biggrin5: - the unit has been empty for a couple of years and was a bakery beforehand, I had an electrician certify the electrics were safe and upto standard,but I didn't realise most of it was 3 phase, (lots of big red plugs with 415v written on them) unfortunately he's popped off on holiday for 10 days :thinking: but I'll get him to look on his return and let you know the outcome

cheers
darran

There are a few options available if you wanted to change those sockets to single phase.
If there is a neutral there then you could have the socket removed and a small fuseboard put in its place with 3x 16A single phase sockets.
If there are only three phases and no neutral it may be possible to rearrange the wiring to give a single phase supply and fit a 16A single phase socket.

If you don't want to alter the installation you can get distribution boxes which are used in theatre/events work which take a 3ph supply in and have a variety of single and/or 3 phase socket outputs on them.
Something like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440930114.422461.jpg

Reply to 3 phase and immersion heaters - please advise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net