Discuss Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The cables should still have something over them, capping, tube or the like

Depends, the capping or oval conduit is more to keep the plasterer from damaging the cables with their trowel.

One builder I sometimes work alongside, prefers to avoid capping as it tends to bulge and can lead to thin patches of plaster. But his guys are careful and can work with cables just clipped to the bricks/blocks without damaging them.

Not always needed at all and definitely not indicative of a bad job.

I’ve not said the regs demand it, but as I said to another, in my opinion it should be done and shows a lack of professionalism and personal pride leaving the cables like that. It does protect them to during plastering and just feels (in my humble opinion) more professional

That brown doesn’t even look like it’s been clamped so the tug test probably wasn’t carried out. I know the electrician and his mate need to defend themselves so not wishing to come down heavy.
Is 2 days a bit of a rush for a full rewire with two of them. I feel it would lead to some sloppiness and with a want not to return to second fix but to do it all in one instead speaks of greed to me and not customer satisfaction.
I hope he steps up and puts all right and proves us wrong, for the sake of the trade.

Hi, looking at those pics, putting back boxes in solid walls, you nearly always end up with larger holes than the boxes, due to the nature of brick/block work and plaster breaking off.
As others have said, fixing the face plates back, should be done after the plastering and painting has been completed.
As for the live coming out, with all due respect, if this had been fixed I’m securely (I always give my conductors a good tug to ensure they’re secure) it shouldn’t have happened, even if the plasterer has pulled the socket, as this could happen to anyone taking off the face plate in this instance.
A loose conductor should have been detected during testing, with a higher resistance reading. It would be interesting to see the schedule of test results for this circuit
Thanks - that's a good point. We could ask for the schedule of test results. I'm hoping he'll be bringing some paperwork on Monday.

I would take some solice in the fact that if 2 people rewired a 3 bedhouse in 2 days they fairly experienced Sarah, if a little hasty,

That brown doesn’t even look like it’s been clamped so the tug test probably wasn’t carried out. I know the electrician and his mate need to defend themselves so not wishing to come down heavy.
Is 2 days a bit of a rush for a full rewire with two of them. I feel it would lead to some sloppiness and with a want not to return to second fix but to do it all in one instead speaks of greed to me and not customer satisfaction.
I hope he steps up and puts all right and proves us wrong, for the sake of the trade.
Thanks all for your replies - it's definitely helped us feel more justified in the concerns we have, but helped us to know what is reasonable to expect in terms of cutting out etc. All much appreciated

The chasing does look sloppy but the installation could be fine. To be totally honest the cock up seems like, lack of planning/naivety on your behalf which the electrician shouldn’t be held countable for imo. The installation could be turned off, unscrew the accessories, pull them forward, sandwich bag them up, plasterer can make good then screw the accessories back. Plasterer is probably making a mountain out of mole hill because his work looks rubbish!

Thanks all for your replies - it's definitely helped us feel more justified in the concerns we have, but helped us to know what is reasonable to expect in terms of cutting out etc. All much appreciated
Contact us - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/Contact-Us
I wouldn't trust them to put it right. Contact their scheme. Ask them to help. Contact your local council and complain about people operating like that in the local area ask your council to liase with the scheme as well.

The chasing does look sloppy but the installation could be fine. To be totally honest the cock up seems like, lack of planning/naivety on your behalf which the electrician shouldn’t be held countable for imo. The installation could be turned off, unscrew the accessories, pull them forward, sandwich bag them up, plasterer can make good then screw the accessories back. Plasterer is probably making a mountain out of mole hill because his work looks rubbish!
If the electrician didn't test he should have made it very clear not to use the power. Either she's lying or the spark should be out of business. This is a Web forum, we can't decide

Contact us - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/Contact-Us
I wouldn't trust them to put it right. Contact their scheme. Ask them to help. Contact your local council and complain about people operating like that in the local area ask your council to liase with the scheme as well.

Hold on there mate.A bit OTT.So for screwing accessories on too early they need reporting to numerous organisations for this heinous crime? Get a grip.It's posts like this that get my goat:mad:

Hold on there mate.A bit OTT.So for screwing accessories on too early they need reporting to numerous organisations for this heinous crime? Get a grip.It's posts like this that get my goat:mad:
It's unsafe work and taking advantage of unsuspecting members of the public that get my goat. I'm well aware of the standards on this forum. Your attitude doesn't surprise me

It's unsafe work and taking advantage of unsuspecting members of the public that get my goat. I'm well aware of the standards on this forum. Your attitude doesn't surprise me
I take it the unsafe bit is the fact the line conductor has come out? For all you know the plaster could of been yanking it around left, right and center. Because it’s been 2nd fixed before its been plastered you think it’s acceptable to report the contractor to the their scheme and also the local council....Have a word o_O

The second fix has been done. That is the connection of all the accessories, testing, and energising.

This should not have been done ahead of the plastering but that is down to what arrangements were in place between you and all trades.

You should have received an EIC and building control paperwork.... keep pestering them for this, all in written form, and if they ignore you it's time to get in touch with trading standards and/or the scheme that your electrician belongs to.
Why do I get called dumb for stating what this fella and any reasonable person would state

What's the term we often use for competent person schemes on this board and in the industry generally? Is it scam?
It wasn't done right. It was unsafe. If it was tested when it was finished where are the certificates. If there's no certificate did he inform her, in writing to cover his back, not to switch it on?
Does safe locking off include for example a lock?

What's the term we often use for competent person schemes on this board and in the industry generally? Is it scam?
It wasn't done right. It was unsafe. If it was tested when it was finished where are the certificates. If there's no certificate did he inform her, in writing to cover his back, not to switch it on?
Does safe locking off include for example a lock?
why shouldn’t it of been switched on, if all tested and screwed back?

Reply to Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock