Discuss cable selection 600amp 3 phase in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi wondering if anyone has any advice on what type of cable would be best.

I need to run a 600amp 3 phase feed with neutral using single core with power lock connectors for just under 50meter across the open floor with short sections in cable ramp, from this it will be broken down into 3x 125amp 3 phase connectors each taking just under 100amp per phase.
This will feed some 3 phase equipment and also break down into several single phase supplies.
For shorter runs of this I have used H07RNF at 120mm, but wondering on sizing for this length run and if there are alternatives to H07RNF that would give us the same current capacity still be flexible enough to move and keep with in our voltage drop.
Thank for any help.

The OP has asked a question there is no need to drill him over his qualifications. The offending and now not relevant posts are gone.

No offence taken quite happy to be asked. my questions is more of a general enquiry, in case I have missed a type of cable that could be use. Your link to the cleveland trirated is for panel wiring cable is this not really suitable for laying on the ground in exposed areas?

Glad you understand but these questions can quickly throw a thread off course and at times stop new members pursuing the thread.
Yes tri rated conductors would require additional protection.

Tri rated isn't suitable unless the entire run is mechanically protected in trunking or similar.

You need to do some calculations taking volt drop into consideration but it will be 500 to 630mm. I would suggest contacting Cleveland or Eland cables for an accurate sizing.

From memory the larger size of powerlock connector takes a maximum of 300mm so that's going to limit the size of the cable.

Why do you need 600A if its only being split to 3x 125A? That would work quite happily on a normal 400A powerlock set.

Is this a temporary installation? If not why use powerlock? And if it is then surely you'd just hire in the required standard sized cables or use from stock?

Have you considered dual feeder?

Technically it would be possible to do this with powerlocks but it would require the distribution equipment at each end to be well designed and custom built as no one is likely to have that on the shelf. Powerlocks are basically single pole plug/socket connectors used to make high current extension leads, they are used by DNO's to connect generators into the network (usually a bright orange cable) and in the entertainment industry for anything and everything.

I would be looking at installing in a tri-foil cable arrangement with either 3 or four runs, the arrangement of the phasing here in this setup is crucial and should be researched if you are new to it, the magnetic fields generated need to be arranged correctly so you cannot simply run a tri-foil of each individual phase and N you need to arrange them correctly, you can also lay them all flat and adjacent on a wider tray/ladder but again the arrangement is crucial.
This will thus vastly reduce cable size, installation issues and connection issues if the gear is chosen carefully, there are many hurdles here to get around so it would be wise to get in a designer or manufacturer of chosen equipment to ensure it is the correct solution, a minor error can be a costly outcome here.

Reply to cable selection 600amp 3 phase in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock