Discuss Cable size? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a job next month where my customer has decided to split his house into 2, luckily there are CU's in the 2 halves and apart from a few wires needing moved for the hallway for lights etc the only real issue i have is a new supply cable to 1 of the CU locations which is about 20m away from a new DNO supply he has arranged.
So i was thinking 3 core SWA but i'm torn between 16mm & 25mm
its has 3 bedrooms with ensuites in each
living room dining room kitchen with gas heating so not much load wise at the moment but he did say an extension might happen in a year or 2 so who knows what he would put in but he did mention liking the idea of a sauna room so 25mm would future proof it i would hope.
I want this to be right first time so any help is appreciated.
thanks
Kenny

If I put 25m length (I always buy a few metres spare) into Superlec's web site, both 16mm2 and 25mm2, the price difference between the two (incl. VAT) is less than £50. So from a cost point of view, I'd opt for 25mm2 just in case, the difference will be peanuts compared to the overall cost of the work.

However, 25mm2 is more of a pain to work with than 16mm2 if you have to get it round tight corners and into constrained spaces like a switch fuse in a small meter cabinet. Only if that is a consideration would I think about the smaller size.

If you can fit 25mm in, at least you won’t have some ”young whipper-snapper” questioning your design on his EICR in 5 years. Can I ask what fuse you will use?

80 amp switch fuse yes, RCD no. Upfront RCDs would mean loss of power to all circuits in the event of a fault in any one circuit.
Also, any such RCD should have a current rating that can safely sustain the maximum demand for the installation, so it would probably be better for it to be 80 amp in this case. Though as I said, why would you need an RCD in this situation?

80 amp switch fuse yes, RCD no. Upfront RCDs would mean loss of power to all circuits in the event of a fault in any one circuit.
Also, any such RCD should have a current rating that can safely sustain the maximum demand for the installation, so it would probably be better for it to be 80 amp in this case. Though as I said, why would you need an RCD in this situation?
Thanks for the help. I was just thinking of extra protection for the cable to the CU. But going without makes more sense as you explained.

Reply to Cable size? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net