Discuss Call out standby pay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

wasn't the lead dancer in Pan's People called Pam? the blonde one with the nice -----?

if your going out at that god forsaken time when you should be tucked up in bed with a good woman (or man if that's your preference) after a few beers, then it should be £46. 6 per hour. just get the wages clerk to move a decimal point.
The good woman wasn't impressed when the phone rang at 4am sunday. haha

Hi all.
Just wondering if any of you do emergency call out. I work for a large housing association and the pay rate for out of hours seems a bit poor.

We get £4.66 an hour which includes all work and travel. Same rate applies for weekends. 1.5x for bank holidays and 2x for xmas day.

Is this the going rate or are we being shafted?

Cheers.
Is it part of you' re C of E to be on call?

So you get paid £4.66 for each of the 14hrs regardless of whether you get called out?
And no lump sum extra for the week?
Yes. It's a standard form we fill in for payment. No jobs or 100 jobs we get the same money. Usually in the mid teens is what we end up with. Rarely in the 20's or single figures.

Is it part of you' re C of E to be on call?
It is optional for me because of my older contract with the company. It's in the t&c's of the newer lads so if i quit someone else will have to do it so it makes arguing the ---- over money harder. They've got us by the balls to be honest. haha

Hi all.
Just wondering if any of you do emergency call out. I work for a large housing association and the pay rate for out of hours seems a bit poor.

We get £4.66 an hour which includes all work and travel. Same rate applies for weekends. 1.5x for bank holidays and 2x for xmas day.

Is this the going rate or are we being shafted?

Cheers.

So we start out with this snippet of info

I thought so..
The hours do add up as we do 118 of them in a typical week, but i can't help but think we should be on way more.

No idea of the going rates but earning £223 for covering 24 hours on xmas day seems pathetic. Haha.

Then it's £223 for an xmas day with no idea of call outs

We get our day salary for 7.5 hours, (decent rate 2bh) then the 4.66 for the remaining 14 hours on standby.

Then we get to this which is a 7.5 hr decent rate + 14 hrs at £4.66. It would have to be some decent rate to cover the crap call out

I have worked many call outs some as little as 40 mins home to job and home and others that were 3 and 4 hours the longest was 8:30am call out on a Sunday getting home at 22:30 and one thing is for sure £4.66/hr wouldn't cut it

At the figures you quote something is missing 15 call outs a week works out at £36.65 per call out and nothing for the standby at what you say you are paid. There really is something missing here with the drip fed info

So we start out with this snippet of info

Then it's £223 for an xmas day with no idea of call outs

Then we get to this which is a 7.5 hr decent rate + 14 hrs at £4.66. It would have to be some decent rate to cover the crap call out

I have worked many call outs some as little as 40 mins home to job and home and others that were 3 and 4 hours the longest was 8:30am call out on a Sunday getting home at 22:30 and one thing is for sure £4.66/hr wouldn't cut it

At the figures you quote something is missing 15 call outs a week works out at £36.65 per call out and nothing for the standby at what you say you are paid. There really is something missing here with the drip fed info
That's correct. There's no pay per job system so if i were to get 10 jobs on xmas day i'd still get the same payment as if i had no jobs. Problem is we never know how many we're gona get.
Our job is an emergency make safe service but we are expected to task and finish with certification on every job if feasable (ie replace broken fittings). If there's an rcd tripped for instance due to a ring main fault, we're expected to find the damaged leg, disconnect it and de-rate the protective device(s) making the circuit a radial or 2 where needed until it can be rewired during working hours.
The jobs tend to be small so it's not often we get stuck on one for longer than a couple of hours.

He (they) gets paid 118 x £4.66 = £549.88 over and above normal wages for every week on call, regardless of how many calls.
can't see that adding up. if his normal working hours are 42, add 118, that's 160 hours a week. that leaves him 8 hours a week not working. impossible. spend more time than that on the karzi.

I get just over £150 extra for the week just to be on standny. plus 1.5 for call outs last call or the only call is 2 hours unless regardless so if you do half an hour you'll get two hours unless you go over then obviously you get the hours you did. Double time for sundays and for anything throughout the week between midnight and 8am.
Bank holidays we get 1.5 before 4pm 2X after plus an extra days pay for the bank holiday. Only do it about 6 times a year or if covering someones. It can soon bump up the pay packet tho

can't see that adding up. if his normal working hours are 42, add 118, that's 160 hours a week. that leaves him 8 hours a week not working. impossible. spend more time than that on the karzi.
We're on different contracts, half of the day staff work 8-4, the other work 10-6. So in my case i have 2 hours between my working day finishing and the out of hours starting. Plenty of time to sit on the bog. Haha

I suppose the rate discussion is academic,as the OP is doing it.
In my opinion,if you are doing it,you are happy with it.

Circumstances and priorities...we just don't know another fellows situation...

Reply to Call out standby pay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock