Discuss An Example for us All in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Santa

-
Reaction score
This popped up on my FB page today and I thought it worth posting here, in the hope that the electrician involved may be a member and as an example of how to create that elusive attribute called good will:

Sometimes, it is the little things.

On Friday morning we woke up to discover that our electricity was ----ed. (This is a technical term.) My much longed for lie in was cruelly shattered by Jamie rushing into our room, utterly appalled. "Mum! Dad! My COMPUTER has stopped working!" (Bet he wouldn't have been quite so horrified if it had been the washing machine which had gone kaput.)

Dragging ourselves out of bed, we quickly established that one of the switches in the fuse box had resolutely switched itself to the off position, rendering most of the ground floor electrics out of use. Wishing, not for the first time, that I knew anything at all about how electricity worked, Mr IKINTST and I used best endeavours to unplug appliances and attempt to get to the root cause of the problem. Nothing doing.

By now, it was 7.30am on Good Friday morning. We were about to go away for the weekend and I had a full quota of white goods out of action with not a clue about how to restore them to working order.

I will cut a long story short. Via the power of the internet, I texted a number of local electricians (I figured a text was slightly less intrusive than a phone call at that time of the morning) on the off chance any of them happened to be working a bank holiday and would be willing to carry out a non-urgent urgent call out for me.

One texted me back within seconds. Yes, of course he would be happy to come out, but did I want to first text him a photo of the fuse box? He thought there might be a chance he could resolve the issue remotely for us.

And, what do you know...he did just that. In just a handful of texts, the rogue socket had been identified (our outdoor plug), isolated, and power had been restored. I was so grateful, I would have paid him any extortionate callout charge that he wanted.

He didn't. He didn't want anything at all. He was simply happy to have been able to assist a - slightly hysterical - member of the public in her hour of need.

And in doing so, he made an impact on me like you wouldn't believe.

Random acts of genuine kindness occur so infrequently as to be quite exceptional in their wonder and generosity when they do. The lasting impression my electrical guardian angel left on me - which I intend on repaying by booking him in to carry out a large set of electrical works which we have been needing to get booked in - has been marked. And has left me feeling that, if all of us could go out of our way to do this more...what a world it could be.

Small, random acts of kindness can touch our everyday lives for the better. If you've experienced - or given - one recently, I would love to hear about it. Maybe it will inspire more of us to do similar. The internet can be used for all kinds of wrongdoing. On this grey, soggy Bank Holiday Monday, let's use it to spread some love

Yep,a nice story of a simply,personal example of paying it forward :)

These are easy and immediate ways of spreading a bit of love.

Given the two options,of either sticking a tenner in an Oxfam collection box,thus possibly,enabling a a better quality of orgy:eek: or...paying for an unknown pensioners dinner,as you leave a cafe...

This is not a decision i have ever poured over...

I'd love to know how they isolated that outdoor socket:rolleyes:
Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 16.46.30.jpg

am I allowed to say that or do I get another nasty email from a Mod?

Are you on the Mods blacklist.. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
If they have a 'pain in the arse' list then I'll be at the top..

Are you on the Mods blacklist.. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
If they have a 'pain in the arse' list then I'll be at the top..
Someone was offended about the cat thread if you don't hear from me for a while then someone complained and I have been banned but then again the............

Someone was offended about the cat thread if you don't hear from me for a while then someone complained and I have been banned but then again the............

Don't think I've seen that one... Better not put it up again.. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
You should be a good boy like me.
Don't know why the person who was offended just didn't tell you.. I would...

Don't think I've seen that one... Better not put it up again.. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
You should be a good boy like me.
Don't know why the person who was offended just didn't tell you.. I would...
I know, its teachers pet syndrome and no one likes the one who goes complaining to the foreman that you turned up late as they usually end up having cement poured in to their toolbox last thing before going home for the weekend.

I know, its teachers pet syndrome and no one likes the one who goes complaining to the foreman that you turned up late as they usually end up having cement poured in to their toolbox last thing before going home for the weekend.
ia foreman who was only in charge of the site because his daddy was gave the contract to the electrical company, this little maggot of a human looked like the milky bar kid, his nickname was captain birdseye (he was a virgin till he was 25 or something, fish fingers)

anyway, i turned up about 5 minutes before 8, was in the building im working on by 8, i go down to the container for supplies and find that the bloodclot rasclart has put scribbled out my 7:55 and put me down as 8:15, i enquired as to who done this and one of the boys told me fish fingers was thew culprit, so off i went looking for a fight, hes so lucky the site is big enough for him to hide, i had enough time to calm down whilst looking for him

if i had found him in the first 30 minutes i would be typing from a prison cell on a smuggled iphone, instead i grabbed my tool and ----ed off home for a smoke :D

Reply to An Example for us All in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net