Discuss College is a blast, MAN! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

ebow72

-
Reaction score
Hello all, I know this may of been posted elsewhere and maybe under different guises, but I thought I would just add my input to forum.

I am back at my local college continuing my C&G 2330 level 3. Now under a different title 'Electrical Engineering EA: L3 Diploma' It seems to incorporate parts of the 2330 & 2357. The individual theory units are
  • 2357-302 (ELTK02) Applying environmental legislation, working practices and the principles of
    environmental technology systems
  • 2357-303 (ELTK03) Overseeing and organising the work environment (electrical installation)
  • 2357-307 (ELTK06) Inspecting, testing, commissioning and certifying electrotechnical systems
    and equipment in buildings, structures and the environment
  • 2357-308 (ELTK07) Diagnosing and correcting electrical faults in electrical systems and
    equipment in buildings, structures and the environment
  • 2357-309 (ELTK08) Understanding the practices and procedures for maintaining
    electrotechnical systems and equipment
I have performance (Work Based Evidence) units which are 311/312/313/315/316/318.

At this moment in time I have no idea what the (WBE) consists off, other than it's installations in a domestic setting. We are being allocated 'Placements' around Feb/March 2012.

After completing all the units, we are to do our AM2 test in July at an independent center, as LMC don't do it.

When I know more I will update as best I can as I know Lancaster and Morecambe college isn't the only college to do this 'Mish Mash' course. I can't quite work out if it's a C&G effort or EAL or a joint venture. Very little info has been forthcoming.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I am not complaining that I have the chance to finish my qual, far from it. Just a little daunting when you have naff all info on the course. I do have, however I bit of a moan, which again, I know has been covered a few times. I am over 19, married, children, dogs, athletes foot, you get the picture....
I had my induction at the college yesterday and all funding / aid / assistance has been stopped or capped for over 19's unless, you are In care, recently out of care, a teenage parent, living with parents, on JSA or IS (Criteria given by our college). They do offer a 'hardship grant' for over 19's. But you can't apply for books!
Which is one of the costliest parts of college.
When I was 19 I grafted like there was no tomorrow, every 19 year old or under I talk to at college, just can 't be bothered with the whole affair and basically they are there just keep Parents or Job Shop of their backs...happy to be getting their £30 a week. Please don't get me wrong I know and I hope their must be lads and lasses out there who have the desire to learn a trade, work or better themselves. But why penalize the over 19's who need help with bus fare, who might be a teenage parent, who also might be living at home. It seems wrong and from this lads have lost out on my course now, who could and was willing to do it. Who are now faced with the decision of either throwing away the last 2 years, or use even more of their meagre amount of house keeping to keep them at college. It just seems wrong to me.
I am 38 by the way and luckily, have been fortunate to work while being at college.
But it doesn't half make your blood boil when you see, people taking the p*ss, who in my opinion don't deserve to be there.
On that note, I do wish everyone luck for the following term.
I will post more on the 'Electrical Engineering EA: L3 Diploma' and of anyone else has info please share.

I had my funding pulled to this week. I'm 28 with 3 kids at home and luckily can work nights as HGV driver to keep me going over the next 9 months till the level 2 is out of the way. It's one of those things so we'll just have to struggle on as I don't want to drive forever(tedious job).
The biggest thing that struck me was the lack of quality/enthusiasm/maturity amongst my new piers. Bar one lad who is a bit older then me, they weren't listening and sniggering between themselves a lot of the day, two of them didn't even take a pen! One refused to remove his hat despite being asked and told to and then moaned 'I didn't even know I was coming here till last week' for a reason to be late and without pen. I think they're in for a shock, and it scares me to think some of these 'bad boy's might even pass the first year and be let loose with anything slightly responsible. I'm sure I'll be proved wring with some of them but I don't think many will go on to complete level 3 next year.
Don't know where I'm going with this just thought I'd share :D backs up your rant though.

I had my funding pulled to this week. I'm 28 with 3 kids at home and luckily can work nights as HGV driver to keep me going over the next 9 months till the level 2 is out of the way. It's one of those things so we'll just have to struggle on as I don't want to drive forever(tedious job).
The biggest thing that struck me was the lack of quality/enthusiasm/maturity amongst my new piers. Bar one lad who is a bit older then me, they weren't listening and sniggering between themselves a lot of the day, two of them didn't even take a pen! One refused to remove his hat despite being asked and told to and then moaned 'I didn't even know I was coming here till last week' for a reason to be late and without pen. I think they're in for a shock, and it scares me to think some of these 'bad boy's might even pass the first year and be let loose with anything slightly responsible. I'm sure I'll be proved wring with some of them but I don't think many will go on to complete level 3 next year.
Don't know where I'm going with this just thought I'd share :D backs up your rant though.

Had the same sort of thing when I was at college. Don't worry, they'll soon thin out.

36 - 2 kids - mortgage - 2 cats etc etc etc just about to start the 2330 myself, good to see others going for it and inspires me to do the same! :)

24, 1 kid, mortage, no job! Just started 2330 L2

How are you getting placement for your L3? I thought they do not do this....

I was 32 when I started on the 2330 level 2 although I had a few years on site experience under my belt before starting college. Same thing as you guys, lack of funding, working full time to pay the mortgage and the bills. Keep at it lads, its worth it in the long run.

This may sound a bit nasty but don't worry about the time waisters in your class, look after yourself and others that may need your help but don't forget your only there once so take in as much education as you can. If you don't fully understand anything ask the tutor, ask your class mates, look in your books or just ask on here! You've got a lot of ways to help you, all you need to do is ask and we will be happy to help you all. But don't expect us to do your homework for you ;). Just post up that your doing the level 2 or 3 etc and you don't quite get xxxxxx and show us your workings out so we can show you where you've gone wrong or right.

People pay good money for the type of help you can get from this forum for free, all that is needed is a little bit of respect to the knowledgeable members and a question.

Good luck gents and ask away :)

24, 1 kid, mortage, no job! Just started 2330 L2

How are you getting placement for your L3? I thought they do not do this....

We are not doing the C&G 2330 level 3, but the 'Electrical Engineering EA: L3 Diploma' It seems to incorporate parts of the 2330 & 2357, it's underwritten or guided by EAL. The theory units are as above, however part of the course is that we undertake 6 practical assignments, in a domestic situation. Not 100% sure what they are but I imagine it's something like (ring main, lighting, Cooker & Shower), we are asked to also work in pyro and SWA, but most domestic sparks don't and have no need to use it, so we are having to simulate this part at college. Well that's the domestic sparks in my area.
So far the college have not got our books, a date in October for our first exam and to top off our first week back, we may have to do some 'cross-over' exams, as we are going from 2330 to 2357...
It gets worse really, but I have no option but to stick at it and carry on. It's just the general cavalier attitude the college have, there are 18 on this course and they wouldn't hesitate for one minute to tell us they have cancelled the course or something similar..
I am so eager to get this qual done, 17th Edition and 2391, then I am as best qualified as I can with the little experience I have and maybe just maybe someone will give me a chance and help me carry on my training.

But in answer to h4r00n, yes my college are still trying to http://www.electriciansforums.net/members/h4r00n.htmlget all 18 of us placements for Feb 2012,

Cool, sounds good!

My course is EAL, it has recently been introduced and we are the first set of students studying this course. Basically, the same same as previous 2330 but with a different wrapper. Same outcome in the end. Just looking for experience at the moment... :ihih:

Thanks for your post. I have just been looking into LMC as well as Kendal / Carlisle college as an option for elec' training and you confirmed my thoughts. I think it'll (unfortunately) be a private company that gets my money; working on the assumption that the people there will be motivated along similar lines to myself. I don't want my trainer spending time asking "kids" to take their hats off; I have enough of that at home!!

Job, 3 kids, a dog and a mortgage

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey don't get me wrong Mark, It's ideal for my situation, with work and other bits and you get out of it, what you put in. I am in my books most nights and making sure I know as much as I can learn.Our tutor will give time to those who deserve it. There are 2 lads who have just joined us from a private company, who were on a 10 week course. (2330 level 2 & 3, Part P, 17th Edition), sadly the company who they went with have gone bust. So beware, they spent £8,000+ on this course which ran in Manchester. I asked them if they had of done their 8 weeks would they feel confident in going out on their own? They both said they wouldn't.
But Good Luck though...keep us posted.

Reply to College is a blast, MAN! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net