Discuss does everyone who gets ranked as technician lose their brains? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
while instructing an apprentice at running conduit for a machine change today some contractors were installing a varimot drive motor with the assistance of the manufacturers tech.
they frogged around with the motor for nearly 3 hours trying to get it to run.
including changing out the motor and inverter head!
eek.gif

i remembered the varimot drives will show a fault and shut down the motor to prevent the motor from single phasing should it lose a leg.
when i mentioned this bit of info i had my guys meter the legs and what do you know they found leg one dead (new fuse but faulty)
laughing.gif

i mean really this is a rookie mistake to not check the fuses and supply legs to a motor
what kinda crap do they teach these techs?

Perhaps these manufacturing tech didn't have enough field experience, possibly so used to their in house own proved test jigs?

But yeah they should have check if all phases are in.

while instructing an apprentice at running conduit for a machine change today some contractors were installing a varimot drive motor with the assistance of the manufacturers tech.
eek.gif

i remembered the varimot drives will show a fault and shut down the motor to prevent the motor from single phasing should it lose a leg.
when i mentioned this bit of info i had my guys meter the legs and what do you know they found leg one dead (new fuse but faulty)
laughing.gif

i mean really this is a rookie mistake to not check the fuses and supply legs to a motor

Not a lot if that is anything to go by!!
Which just shows the importance of testing and the all important ability of fault finding....

eek.gif

laughing.gif

they sound like idiots.

i know on danfoss inverters etc you need to put a couple links in to get them to run.

its all in black and white in a book that comes with every inverter.

why they techs didn't check for V first no one will ever know

You have had an interaction with a certified idiot so does that make all Technicians the same? ... The world is full of numpties with titles well above their station for whatever reason but you shouldn't paint everyone with the same brush just because you meet one or two... he's probably a paper pusher lacking practical experience and yes! probably getting paid more than his worth but just ask him how a person holding a technician level of recognision does not do something so basic as testing and checking all voltage is present - a fundamental test, now yes complacency may play a part but when the drive didn't work it would be the first thing to check IMHO ... so ask him and revel in humour at his attempt to save face.

Always a chuckle if someone doesn't check fuses as a starter for ten. I've even seen experienced guys do it when a fault looks like a common one thats nothing to do with supplies but turns out otherwise.

eek.gif

laughing.gif

So you’ve never overlooked anything basic then? If you say you haven’t I’ll call you a liar to your face.

So you’ve never overlooked anything basic then? If you say you haven’t I’ll call you a liar to your face.

only one time when i was a rookie and i still remember the painful jolt from a capacitor bank quite well!
i must admit it did wonders to improve my ability to pay attention to details and procedures

i cant label all techs like those guys many ive met were top notch
but it made me wonder why they missed that ( i think these guys were in a bit of a hurry to finish up and it kind of bit them in the rear)

Reply to does everyone who gets ranked as technician lose their brains? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back