Discuss Earth/neutral issue at DB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Today I came across an earth cable from the earth bar in the DB that went directly into the incoming neutral side of the main switch. The DB is fed from a panel that feeds other DBs and the earthing system is already TNCS. The supply to the DB does go through a rectifier but not sure why they done this with the earth. Is it OK to leave in?

Could you clarify the rectifier bit. And photos would be good.
It's a voltage regulator(increases voltage if there is a problem with volt drop), even though it's not required because of the length run. I'll have to get photos tomorrow.

We would need more details on the voltage regulator, if its a standard boost transformer, the earth connection would be totally wrong, it's prohibited to cross connect earth and neutral within the installation as it combines both aspects through the one conductor.

If however the voltage regulator also has isolation, then the secondary side into the cu would need a proper earth, so that connection may be valid, but perhaps inadequate.

We would need more details on the voltage regulator, if its a standard boost transformer, the earth connection would be totally wrong, it's prohibited to cross connect earth and neutral within the installation as it combines both aspects through the one conductor.

If however the voltage regulator also has isolation, then the secondary side into the cu would need a proper earth, so that connection may be valid, but perhaps inadequate.
No isolation on the secondary side. Even if there was that surly that connection totally wrong.

No isolation on the secondary side. Even if there was that surly that connection totally wrong.
Not necessarily, the secondary if isolated would have to have the neutral end earthed somehow, or else it would be floating (IT).

But I would expect a better more formal bond to earth than that.

As it isn't isolated, then it's totally wrong.

Not necessarily, the secondary if isolated would have to have the neutral end earthed somehow, or else it would be floating (IT).

But I would expect a better more formal bond to earth than that.

As it isn't isolated, then it's totally wrong.
For future reference, if it was isolated on the secondary would you stake it. If so how far from the installation because I take it you'd have to try, and this is an old saying, be outside the equipotential zone.

For future reference, if it was isolated on the secondary would you stake it. If so how far from the installation because I take it you'd have to try, and this is an old saying, be outside the equipotential zone.
Depends, really it would need proper consideration and design.

Given it's the same voltage as the overall installation I would expect a proper bond to the earth/CPC of that circuit and utilise the general earthing arrangements.

This is pretty common with 110v supplies, the isolating transformer has the secondary earthed to the earth/cpc of the primary, it's also the case for many ELV supplies where one side of the secondary, (or the -ve in the case of dc supplies) is connected to the earth/CPC of the supply.

However, there are circumstances where this may be inappropriate, then are then either isolated, or provided with a totally separate earthing system.

Some hf and audio applications come to mind.

Depends, really it would need proper consideration and design.

Given it's the same voltage as the overall installation I would expect a proper bond to the earth/CPC of that circuit and utilise the general earthing arrangements.

This is pretty common with 110v supplies, the isolating transformer has the secondary earthed to the earth/cpc of the primary, it's also the case for many ELV supplies where one side of the secondary, (or the -ve in the case of dc supplies) is connected to the earth/CPC of the supply.

However, there are circumstances where this may be inappropriate, then are then either isolated, or provided with a totally separate earthing system.

Some hf and audio applications come to mind.
Thanks, much appreciated. I'll look more into this.

View attachment 103728This is also one of the messiest DBs I've seen.

The incoming cables are both red which makes me wonder if the incoming supply is isolated from earth and so the link to the earth bar is required to make that pole of the supply a neutral.
In this case without the earth link you would have a 2 phase IT supply.

The incoming cables are both red which makes me wonder if the incoming supply is isolated from earth and so the link to the earth bar is required to make that pole of the supply a neutral.
In this case without the earth link you would have a 2 phase IT supply.
No the SWA is joined near the DB and it looks like they only had red.

Reply to Earth/neutral issue at DB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock