Discuss External lux and movement sensors for external car park in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend light sensors (independent) for a large car park. Must have lux and movement control. To switch around 20 lights on at a time. Load might typically be in the order of <750w. the car park is roughly 80m long and 50m wide, very roughly. There are a few corners Kind of like a lower case d shape with the narrow end about 20m but straight as opposed to irregular. We have about 20 lights outside units on one side. Several lights on other units LED floods, and finally 25 LED bulkheads (currently switched by lux controller) Client wants to save energy so asking for quote for sensors to switch on lights at night. They need to be top quality though. The picture is the main building to the right is another single storey and to the left is another two storey each unit with a light outside basically.

Attachments

• 279.JPG
    668 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Agree with DefyG. Steinels I have fitted had a range of 20m in all directions when fitted 2m from ground level. They are the best ones I have worked with.

Not sure of the max switching load. It's been a while since I fitted one.
You might have to use it for a relay control.

Incandescent / halogen lamp load 2000 W
Fluorescent-lamp electronic ballasts 1500 W
Fluorescent lamps, uncorrected 1000 VA
Fluorescent lamps, series-corrected 700 VA
Fluorescent lamps, parallel-corrected 1000 VA
Low-voltage halogen lamps 1000 VA
LED < 2 W 100 W
2 W < LED < 8 W 300 W
LED > 8 W 600 W
Capacitive load 176 μF
Looking at Steinel the above states loads it can take. I dont quite get what they are saying the load is on LED is can anyone interpret it, or throw some light on what it is saying only re LED?

Most of the large lighting ccts i have done, i have switched the lights using contactors rather then the sensor. In an extreme case, i wired the sensors back to a control centre and switched the lights using contactors, that way you could enable both dusk til dawn and manual over-ride, easily. You can of course just use a sensor per light.

Reply to External lux and movement sensors for external car park in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net