Discuss Electric Car charger Location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for providing the forum...

Wonder if anyone here knows the regs on the installation of a 7Kw car charger, in so far as where it can be placed.

My indoor consumer unit, has a 7K shower in it, upgrated by housing assosiation they fitted rcd on lights...

Im thinking its too far away from my garden, and its got a 7kw shower (mostly not used) They made a wet room for me, as im disabled, so fitted a 10kw shower inside there, and its connection goes to the outside meter box, where they fitted a breaker, dp switch.

I would like the installers to fit the charger on my outside wall, around 2 feet from the supply to thye house where the meter is, and where they fitted that 10kw shower isolator/rcd i think

being disabled i did see exactly what they did..

Is there any problems fitting a 7kw car charger, connected to a RCD/Breaker/DP Switch inside my meter box? then its output 2 feet to the charger?

Im a 15 addition guy, its 1968 i stopped work, was an electrician for the council rewire houses Obviusly the installtion is not going to be done by me. The electric car is provided by motabiity, who will also pay the installation costs and cost of cherger.

But like always thats a standard installation, i can provide photos of the outside box, wehere the meter then feeds the consumer unit inside, there is a 100A main fuse.

Ime readying if the consumer unit has a 7kw shower you cant fit another in the same consumber unit right? even so the outside wall boz would be much better, but they fitted a 10kw isulatior there, i do not know where it goues, I dont see a rcd in ther, so im guessing the fitted the rcd somehyere else.

i MUST ADMIN MOST INSTALLER AND NO VERY GOOD THAT WOULD FOR HOUSING ASSISIATION.

i Did catch one of them teranation a socket in the kitched, but using chockolate blocks, later when ihe left i ripped it all out, biured the cable in capping, the day before they came to plaster, so was in a rush, fdid contact housing assositation who originally yes yes go aehead if your quialified to do so, and i hot it done that day, they got plasterd over, look good, all cappig all boxes earched 4mm i thimk at the time.

So indoor consumer unit full up, with 7kw triton shower, not usred much.
Outside box with electricity supply, 100 A fuse, now an additional connection for a 10ks shower, think RCD as at meter? in and back up not going it there.

Where can i put the car charger unit? like i said modablity will pay the instllation cost, but they keep leaving out the works standard instaltion.

Happy to answer questions, and provide photos, although disabled in a where charge i lioke to know how its suppose to be dont.Car parking 10M from wall meter..

Thanks

Johm

You will be able to have an Electric Vehicle Charge Point (EVCP) installed but it will need to have a CT clamp fitted to it which clamps around live meter tail. This is a load management system, so that when the car is charging it will limit the charge if too much power is already being used in the house (I.e 10kW shower, kettle boiling and oven on etc). Quite a few of the chargers seem to come with a CT clamp.

From what you have said, it really does make sense to supply the charger from the meter (i.e henley block) due to location. If there is already a consumer unit in there for the shower I can't imagine there being any more space though. If there is a little space left then I would fit a fused switch in there with a 40A fuse (or a 32A if the design dictates that). If the EVCP doesn't have an internal RCD then you could change the main switch in this unit for the correct type A RCD.

I haven't mentioned anything about earthing as most charge points seem to come with an in built PEN fault device now.

You will be able to have an Electric Vehicle Charge Point (EVCP) installed but it will need to have a CT clamp fitted to it which clamps around live meter tail. This is a load management system, so that when the car is charging it will limit the charge if too much power is already being used in the house (I.e 10kW shower, kettle boiling and oven on etc). Quite a few of the chargers seem to come with a CT clamp.

From what you have said, it really does make sense to supply the charger from the meter (i.e henley block) due to location. If there is already a consumer unit in there for the shower I can't imagine there being any more space though. If there is a little space left then I would fit a fused switch in there with a 40A fuse (or a 32A if the design dictates that). If the EVCP doesn't have an internal RCD then you could change the main switch in this unit for the correct type A RCD.

I haven't mentioned anything about earthing as most charge points seem to come with an in built PEN fault device now.
thanks, but will the installers know anything about them, and i guess it will no longer be a standard installation. i pay the extra... the 7kw shower in the consumer unit inside house is not used, wonder if they would remove cable and just fit ends in a junction box.. termanated ends....

juse dont know how much these guys know, might be good electricians, but ive had electricians re wire kitching for the housing association and i found that many faults i re did it all buried in wall out of those horrid trunking boxes. but that guy termanated a ring final circuit socket that was now next to sink with plastic chocko blocks, i pulled cable into landing a fitted junction box. so i do not know how much those guys know, a standard installation is fitted to a consumer box, probably outside with its own rcd etc.

there is loads of room i think, and i dont think like the old days you were banned from fitting anything on their wood. So im hoping it can go there, but you can see the adition of a fuse and breaker, that switches power off to the 10kw shower, but dont ask me where the rcd is, there is aqnother external rcd at consumer unit. i never seen any of the work done.

So without that load balance, ist it still possable at that outside box, see any faults or reason for not using it. Agfer all, can plug car in to charge at 10pm, and not use any shower etc afer that time, we dont anyway. Gas cooker, electric pumps on central heating, tv, wasking machine, spin drier, dish washer, we cfould bann them all after 10pm?

Yer think 10k shower goes along landing, downstairs to rcd near consumer unit, back out and upstairs then outside to that fuse and dp switch then connected to tails. first time i throught about it :)

never heard of CT clamp, well ive been out of it a long time, but if they are popular perhaps come as standard? thanks

Last though, would they be aloud to fit RCCB in that outside box, and we need to go in there to rest it. Just thought why they didnt fit rcd in outside box for 10k shower, took it to consumer unit, nearby

So any regs about whrere switch is, must be within --- of device im thinking back. So DP switch, with RCD, output 3 foot long to wall.

wall has stupid thick insulation, might cause another problem? BP Pulse i think works for motability

Attachments

• received_624501622043911.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20211213-162349_Video Editor.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211213_162105.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Reply to Electric Car charger Location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net