Discuss Fan wire extension? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Martiv

DIY
Reaction score
I have a fan low wat its a 8inch desc fan.
It has the conning sticker on it "no seviceable parts"

I baught it and its 2meter short of my extension lead i dont wana run another on it ao i wana make it longer...

Is solering wire safer n better than wire connectors?

And the wire is 0.75mm and i have 1.5mm ajd 2.5mm wire lying around....

Can i use the 1.5mm and solder it onto the fans 0.75 wire?

So it goea fan 0.75mm wire 1foot out appliance>soldier>1.5mmwire 2meter > 3amp plug

Is solering wire safer n better than wire connectors?
The brutal answer is it depends on your soldering skills!

If you can't replace the whole cable to the fan internal terminals, then however you join the cable it needs mechanical support as well as electrical insulation around the actual joints.

Something like this, perhaps:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/debox-2sl-screwless-in-line-junction-box/9858r

or you could even add an inline switch.
1588929759077.png

Can you not get it to bits and replace it fully? 2.5mm is far too big
What do ya mean?

The fan has no screws it states it cant be opened by user. So i am left with no option but to splice?

I have 1.00 and 1.5mm also

Oh nice i have a lamp switch.
So i could take plug off put switch on and put wire othetsidr yo plug?
No rules on what can and cant be switched?
And howlong can i do safe? I need 2 meter it currently has 1 meter

Its 0.5 on the fan. I found some more 0.5... Switch says 6amp 0.5

Last edited:
If your fan is low power then 1mm cable is plenty thick enough and whatever length you need. With any plug then use a 3A fuse.

As for rules on switching, if it is a single pole switch it must be in the live (brown) wire, but if double-pole then both live and neutral (blue) are switched.

If your fan is low power then 1mm cable is plenty thick enough and whatever length you need. With any plug then use a 3A fuse.

As for rules on switching, if it is a single pole switch it must be in the live (brown) wire, but if double-pole then both live and neutral (blue) are switched.
No rule on lenght then?
As i csn work if i add switch to 22gauge wire 0.5mm and extra meter of wire so 2m total.
Il get 0.13% volt drop only and 5% is accepted max
So its safe

i'd not even think about volt drop on a piddling little thing like this.

Realistically you won't get to the volt drop limits for a fan like that!

Even for a general circuit protected by a 3A fuse and using 0.5mm flexible cable the length is something like 56m to stay within a 5% drop and also maintain fault-clearing time, so while not impossible it is very unlikely you would exceed it :)

Reply to Fan wire extension? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock