Discuss floor cutting or bust the ceiling ,neatly as posible in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
marked out me first row of lights in 2 rooms to finish up today for tomorrow, i can get to above ceiling but the floorboards are the groove ones and im hopping no noggins in, as they nightmare to get back down, then was thinking maybe just cut a 100mm track out with angle grinder on ceiling beside the lights, which do you think will be more boring and lest constructive.. on top of the floor boards there is loads of chairs and tabless.... help

always chop the floor and work from above if possible!! angle grinder is bit extreme like!!

when floor is back down the mess is coverd in carpet and never seen for 15 years!

Tounge and groove floor boards = Stanley knife, hammer and chisel.

Plaster board ceiling = pad saw, fishing rods and a 400mm long flat head drill bit and a good plasterer to make good.

Use whichever is best for the job.

Move all the chairs and table well out of the way and take up the floorboards; right mess cutting the ceiling, far more work overall and you will never get it back right (but actually very few people look at ceilings either).

It just depends! If theres a stone tiled bathroom above youre deffo going up through ceiling. Last one I did was a breeze, stumbled on original holes through beams and used a very skilled plasterer, job was a dream.

Thinking about it though I broke my wrist on that job, fell off bottom step onto stone floor, hurt like hell & never really got better (ignored it for 6 months). Ten grands worth of NHS CT scans and xrays later, turns out i broke it!

Rip saw (set for depth) for the floor boards if needed works for me. If its an attack through the ceiling as big a holesaw I can find, and keep the plasterboard cut out for whoever is patching up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always find the best way to attack t & g floors, especially in occupied premises is to use one of the Fein saw type of multisaws. I saw a plumber using one for just that reason. Bought one and think it's one of the best tools I,ve got, hardly makes any dust. You can get much cheaper versions now by other manufacturers.

There was a version to be had in Aldi a few weeks back. Feels pretty solid for only 30 quid. Obviously if it's going to get alot of use i'd have gone for the fein or the bosch.

Rich

me and pipes have met before, unfortubatly they knocked be back time and money, but hey check check check from now on, all lights postioned and cabled out. you always have to rejig the light setup from what you have planned. ,

@ timbo, sounds like a guest house.

i got the insulated cu, but has no 20mm knockouts at top.... they built for mini trunking, does the snap outs break easy enough, isit like a switch plate and crack down middle???? 10-4

If your using SWA and a PVC CU, use a single surface metalclad box and glan the SWA into that then bush into CU. With those Hager CUs run a stanely knife over any knock outs your require.

im using 6mm hi tuff just going to run it in back of cu, surface mounted. then for circuits comming out ive studdied the cu and if i cut the knock outs carefull the 20mm conduit wil just sit in there, not the best was i suppose, but it will work. is there a height to install cu, and any tips on stripping high tuff, dont think il struggle but if yoy give me good tip, well happydays.....

Reply to floor cutting or bust the ceiling ,neatly as posible in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock