Discuss Fused spur rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dougquade

DIY
Reaction score
I’ve had a water feature installed in my garden, I’ve ran an swa from the garage cu to the water feature area and connected to the pumps rubber flex (wiska box and magic gel used). Although the connections are good, if there is a fault the rcd in the house will trip out. My question is could I install a 13a rcd fused spur in the garage instead of installing a new rcbo CU?
Thanks

Mike

only if you can take the feed from the house off a non-RCD way. does the garage CU have a 30mA RCD ?

I’ve had a water feature installed in my garden, I’ve ran an swa from the garage cu to the water feature area and connected to the pumps rubber flex (wiska box and magic gel used). Although the connections are good, if there is a fault the rcd in the house will trip out. My question is could I install a 13a rcd fused spur in the garage instead of installing a new rcbo CU?
Thanks

Mike
Have you connected the N to the wrong side of the N bar?

only if you can take the feed from the house off a non-RCD way. does the garage CU have a 30mA RCD ?
no rcd non rcd ways. it’s a new build so it’s wired in 4mm T&E to a exterior wall, drilled through and connected to swa feeding the garage so can’t bypass the rcd. Garage has no rcd. Running a separate swa from the cu is out of the question.

unfortunately anything you connect to the garage supply will still trip the house rcd if it gets a fault.
its one of the big disadvantages of having a dual rcd board , you can’t put anything on a seperate Rcbo without having to significantly alter the consumer unit...

As already said, if you cascade two normal RCD you won't get any selectivity. To do so the upstream one need to have both a higher trip value (typically x 3 as RCD can trip anywhere between 50-100% or rating) and a time-delay of a fraction of a second to give the down-stream one a chance to clear a bit overload before the upstream one reacts.

I'm guessing the garage feed (the 4mm T&E mentioned) has a dedicated MCB slot in your house CU? Are you able to get RCBO for that make/model so you could in effect have both the split RCD for your home and a 3rd RCD (RCBO) for the garage and outdoor stuff?

Replacing the MCB with an RCBO would mean a bit of a change though, as it would need to be fed from the live-switched section (i.e. inputs to current RCDs) and not the current RCD output busbar for the MCB, so it is not to be undertaken lightly. I would get a professional spark in to do that.

If it’s a dedicated supply to the garage, then to the water feature, then a few nuisance trips won’t be a massive problem.... unless the garage has freezers or whatnot.

not great practice to have 2 rcd’s in line, but not unheard of.

Reply to Fused spur rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock