Discuss Garage CU outdoors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
It seems manufactures shy away from stating their IP rated CU’s are suitable for use outdoors - for example the BG IP65 one below which is metal are great sturdy well made boards classed as weatherproof but Implied for garage use (ie indoors)

If it’s weatherproof and IP65 then it can be used outdoors ? Or the fact that it’s metal means it will corrode and not therefore suitable for “outdoors” ? Anyone installed one outdoors and had any problems ?

https://www.screwflix..com/p/britis...VnIBQBh3lLwlpEAQYAiABEgLoUPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any metal enclosure used outdoors will require occasionally inspection and maintainence to ensure the corrosion protection is still intact. Most IP rated cabinet style enclosure I've used have had this information included in their instructions.

It is always better to install something like a CU indoors, or in a weatherproof enclosure rather than having it outside regardless of what it's ratings are.

won't plastic CU, suitably IP rated be better for outdoor use? i understand that plastic CUs are acceptable outdoors.

Yes they can I just think that a metal one, if maintained corrosion wise, is more durable and suitable (fixed to a tanalised timber post)

The plastic ones tend to be a bit flimsy and easier to damage and also not the best for terminating SWA which is the case here.

If it needs to be outdoors then I would put the CU inside a GRP IP65 enclosure, located out of direct sunlight, regardless of how waterproof the CU is supposed to be.

I've done this before a few times and found no problem glanding SWA (16mm was the largest iirc) to a GRP enclosure.

Last edited:
They probably shy away from claiming outdoors because screwfix not only sell to professionals but also the ignorant general public, any rated IP item only keeps that rating if installed correctly, I dare say the IP 65 will be lost on most installations due to ignorance and poor practices also selling it as a garage board gives them a target market and generates more sales as fitting distribution boards outside is not imho a big catchment for potential sales.

Yes good point. There are several reviews on there where the “installer” states the grommets don’t fit - they are not supplied with grommets for the knockouts so they must be referring to rubber cups designed to go over the bosses on the inside rear fixing positions ?

Last edited:

Reply to Garage CU outdoors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock