Discuss Hot Tub Wiring Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pjmystic

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I purchased a new hot tub (still hasn't arrived) and am probably doing the wiring myself. My "qualifications" are - my father was a lifelong electrician before passing away a couple of years ago. I spent many summers (and a few years) working with him and helped wire several hot tubs. The problem is that this was maybe 20 years ago and I've forgotten some things. Here are my questions:

I'm going to run 8-3 (with ground) romex from basement panel across storage room ceiling to the side of my house and then will need to run about 15 feet of conduit down the outside to around corner of back of house where disconnect and tub will be. What I can't remember is what I do at the exit point of the house. Do I put a junction box outside and connect the romex to #8 single strand wires that will run in the conduit? I assume I won't want to try to pull the romex through the pipe? Also, can I use plastic pvc or should it be metal?

Thanks

Hi, I purchased a new hot tub (still hasn't arrived) and am probably doing the wiring myself. My "qualifications" are - my father was a lifelong electrician before passing away a couple of years ago. I spent many summers (and a few years) working with him and helped wire several hot tubs. The problem is that this was maybe 20 years ago and I've forgotten some things. Here are my questions:

I'm going to run 8-3 (with ground) romex from basement panel across storage room ceiling to the side of my house and then will need to run about 15 feet of conduit down the outside to around corner of back of house where disconnect and tub will be. What I can't remember is what I do at the exit point of the house. Do I put a junction box outside and connect the romex to #8 single strand wires that will run in the conduit? I assume I won't want to try to pull the romex through the pipe? Also, can I use plastic pvc or should it be metal?

Thanks
Once you cut a hole through the wall install a 6x6x6 PVC junction box. Then run conduit from there to the disconnect and the hot tub. If I was you I would flex the hot tub in instead of PVC pipe. # 8 romex should be fine. Remember that you are required to install a GFCI receptacle 6 foot from the inside of the tub and the breaker feeding the tub should be 50 amp GFCI double pole breaker also. Should have plenty of room in your junction box for your splices. Good luck

Once you cut a hole through the wall install a 6x6x6 PVC junction box. Then run conduit from there to the disconnect and the hot tub. If I was you I would flex the hot tub in instead of PVC pipe. # 8 romex should be fine. Remember that you are required to install a GFCI receptacle 6 foot from the inside of the tub and the breaker feeding the tub should be 50 amp GFCI double pole breaker also. Should have plenty of room in your junction box for your splices. Good luck
One more bit of info that on a single family dwelling the disconnect outside is not required according to the NEC but install it by the instructions

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. The owners manual says 8-3 is what should be used but I've read some conflicting information that I should use 6-3 but will probably use what the owners manual suggests. It's a 230 volt tub with 50 amp GFCI breaker. I will also install an outside disconnect as well. I hadn't thought about flex cable from the junction box to the disconnect, thanks. Might go that route instead if it's allowed where I'm at.

Reply to Hot Tub Wiring Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net