Discuss Is an accessible switch not necessary? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Recently the isolation switch of our shower broke, the electrician who came over to fix it have removed the switch completely and have directly connected the shower to the circuit breaker instead the box(red arrow).
According to Installation and operating instructions by the manufacturer I have to "Switch off at isolating switch when not in use" does that mean I need to climb the ladder to reach the box every time before and after a shower?
I have raise this concern to the landlord and I was told there is no requirement for additional switches and to refer to BS7671 Section 701.55
I thought switches are meant to be accessible to use?

Images and sources(hyperlinked) :
Installation and operational instruction for the shower
Box containing the circuit breaker that is 3.5m of the ground
The metre directly connected to the box

Attachments

• metre.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Circuit breaker.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 19
  • manual.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
So, the manufacturers instructions state a double pole switch should be included in the circuit supplying the shower. We are obliged to take into account manufacturers instructions and I personally would fit an isolator. It doesn't need to be in the bathroom, it just needs to be accessible for emergency switching (say for example the shower malfunctions, the power can be isolated safely).

The regulation for this is:-

"134.1.1 Good workmanship by one or more skilled or instructed persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers' instructions"

With regards to the regulation that's been quoted... 701.55 relates to the positioning of current using equipment. 701.512.3 relates to the positioning of switchgear. So 701.55 is not relevant because the shower is designed for use in Zone 1 and providing it complies with the relevant standards it is perfectly acceptable for the shower to be there. The regs even say this.

701.512.3 says you can't have switchgear in zone 0 (this is the basin of the bath/shower tray), in zone 1 (this is the space above the basin to a height of 2.25m above finished floor level) you can only have switches for SELV circuits (extra low voltage - max 12v AC or 30v DC - with the source of supply being mounted outside the zones), zone 2 (extends 60cm from the edge of zones 0 and 1 to a height of 2.25m above finished floor level) can contains switches and socket outlets of SELV circuits or shaver supply units.

A shower switch (pull cord) can be mounted above zone 1 or zone 2 providing it is entirely above 2.25m from the finished floor level, so the zones are no excuse for not including one unless your bathroom is incredibly small. If it can't be fitted in accordance with the regulations then it should be positioned elsewhere (an airing cupboard for example, or even outside the bathroom).

The manufacturer specifically requires a switch, so if you don't mind rocking the boat with the landlord, I would say you have a good case for getting it sorted. As it stands I don't believe it complies and I would like a look at how the electrician got rid of the switch... what did they use to join the cables together? Is it suitably rated?

I would say, isolator is required as it is in the instructions.

701.55 says the shower can be installed in that zone if the manufacturors instructions say it is suitable.

however, you cant choose some of the instructions and ignore others, if the instructions say it can be installed in zone 1 ( all showers are likely to be installed in zone 1 ) the instructions must be followed for it to be suitable.

i.e. the instructions will also state that it must have all its covers installed before it can be used, it would likely be a death trap if you decided to shower without the covers on the shower fitted.

instructions say a suitable DOUBLE POLE isolator MUST be fitted, I cant see a way of arguing against that point.

Edit: @SparkyChick has beaten me to it with a far more detailed response.

bottom line is that it is a poor effort at complying at best, more likely an effort to save £10 on an isolator.

So, the manufacturers instructions state a double pole switch should be included in the circuit supplying the shower. We are obliged to take into account manufacturers instructions and I personally would fit an isolator. It doesn't need to be in the bathroom, it just needs to be accessible for emergency switching (say for example the shower malfunctions, the power can be isolated safely).

The regulation for this is:-

"134.1.1 Good workmanship by one or more skilled or instructed persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers' instructions"

With regards to the regulation that's been quoted... 701.55 relates to the positioning of current using equipment. 701.512.3 relates to the positioning of switchgear. So 701.55 is not relevant because the shower is designed for use in Zone 1 and providing it complies with the relevant standards it is perfectly acceptable for the shower to be there. The regs even say this.

701.512.3 says you can't have switchgear in zone 0 (this is the basin of the bath/shower tray), in zone 1 (this is the space above the basin to a height of 2.25m above finished floor level) you can only have switches for SELV circuits (extra low voltage - max 12v AC or 30v DC - with the source of supply being mounted outside the zones), zone 2 (extends 60cm from the edge of zones 0 and 1 to a height of 2.25m above finished floor level) can contains switches and socket outlets of SELV circuits or shaver supply units.

A shower switch (pull cord) can be mounted above zone 1 or zone 2 providing it is entirely above 2.25m from the finished floor level, so the zones are no excuse for not including one unless your bathroom is incredibly small. If it can't be fitted in accordance with the regulations then it should be positioned elsewhere (an airing cupboard for example, or even outside the bathroom).

The manufacturer specifically requires a switch, so if you don't mind rocking the boat with the landlord, I would say you have a good case for getting it sorted. As it stands I don't believe it complies and I would like a look at how the electrician got rid of the switch... what did they use to join the cables together? Is it suitably rated?

The electrical requirements page have this clause above the points
"The following notes are for guidance only " so can they just blatantly ignore it?
[automerge]1587666099[/automerge]
Also, can the circuit breaker be considered as a A suitable double pole isolation switch ?

"The following notes are for guidance only "

here is where it gets tricky,

compliance with bs7671 is NOT compulsory,
however it does not mean that it can Simpley be ignored.

it is considered acceptable in the "eyes of the law" for any other means of installation or protection, provided that IT IS AT LEAST AS SAFE as recommended by the regs.

a circuit breaker is NOT a double pole isolator. (tin hat on, there are some that are but unlikely to be seen in a domestic setting.) yours is definatley not

here is where it gets tricky,

compliance with bs7671 is NOT compulsory,
however it does not mean that it can Simpley be ignored.

it is considered acceptable in the "eyes of the law" for any other means of installation or protection, provided that IT IS AT LEAST AS SAFE as recommended by the regs.

You beat me to it :)

I would go further and say their claim you can turn it off at the consumer unit is not suitable. The manufacturer specifies a double pole isolator. The circuit breaker is not double pole and therefore cannot be considered as safe as the manufacturers requirement of a double pole isolator.

there are so many regs that can be quoted, as to why it is not compliant.

if you want to waste the sparks and landlords time answering questions then here is one to start with.

I am about to stop for dinner now, however there are plenty of people here that will add to the list, I am sure!

530.3.5 equipment intended for protection only shall not be provided for switching of circuits.

Why didn’t they just replace the switch with a new one. Surely that was the simplest and most sensible thing to d?

I'm guessing they didn't have one on the van, but they had a junction box!

The electrician came in to install the switch(after grumbling like a gremlin) and insisted that it's just the manufacturer being extra and the circuit fits in with the regulation even without the switch.
Last time I check if a manufacturer tells you to must install something, it is probably a good idea to do so?

I wonder whether the Electrician, is actually a qualified and trained person, or as the property appears to be rented, whoever the landlord could get in that he didnt owe money to
I would contact your local council for advice as is a rented property
These days I dont do any work for landlords, as they all seem to be such experts in every field

I wonder whether the Electrician, is actually a qualified and trained person, or as the property appears to be rented, whoever the landlord could get in that he didnt owe money to
I would contact your local council for advice as is a rented property
These days I dont do any work for landlords, as they all seem to be such experts in every field

Don't tar all landlords with the same brush. There are good and bad, just as there are with electricians

Don't tar all landlords with the same brush. There are good and bad, just as there are with electricians
Sorry too many bad experiences with middle class Audi owners, who work in marketing and know everything has scarred me for life, The last one owned a 3 million pound house, yet felt it acceptable to carry out electrical alterations, fit metal switchplates and light fittings to a property with no CPC, and to isolate the supply cables from the cut out, and move the suppliers cabinet out from the wall to allow a cable to be fed through the air gap between the bricks, severing the main earth, oh and wiring an electric shower etc, then renting the property to a vulnerable person
but hey owning a 3 million pound house and 2 range rovers and a porsche means you know everything ? receiving veiled threats from them and their upper class friends, after I contacted social services, the supply authority, and the fire brigade to have the person re housed made me a trifle edgy
funny that when I paid them a visit and told them to back off or the pictures go to the local paper they decided they didnt want to threaten me any more
Oh and I never charged the vulnerable client, for my time either, a days work lost, but I can sleep at night

Reply to Is an accessible switch not necessary? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net