Discuss is this the only route ?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tayn08

hi all, iv looked around for a while at previous posts but i still cant seem to get my answer so hence why im writing this now. Im trying to get info on the best way to become qualified and if its really worth it

Im 23, i was training on nvq2 when i was 17 but due to a girlfriend at the time i ****ed it all down the drain because to put it simply i was an idiot

anyway iv been working for years since then generally for myself1 (in sales not electricals of course) iv got to the point now when iv had enough and really want to follow what iv always wanted to do - become a 'qualified' electrician and run myself.

now, first things first iv been looking at TS4U, there offering a level 2 and 3 diploma the 2365 (which i assume is test+inspect, part p etc aswell)
upon completing this, i would be looking to join a body, do my am2 and then find someone i can work along side to do my nvq3.
Is this a good route to go down? level2 and 3 will cost me an arm and a leg and i dont even know if someone would take me on after just passing them?

i know i cant just quick-shoot into becoming an electrician, as my old boss said if your responsible for peoples lives it cant be done in a few months, become a plumber LOL. but im just trying to work out the best route, my friends got a bit more experience than me but not massively, and hes just doing part-p, 17th ed and test and inspect individually. but where would he go from there?

i really am confused to be honest, i dont care if it will take 4 years i pretty much just want to get to where i want to be

iv sent about 50 letters to local sparks saying that i would pay for my own tuition and van etc to work along side them and be trained but nobody has responded at all!!

if anyone can help on any topics id be very appreciative, i know its pretty long winded but i just cant get my head round it :(

thanks

kieran

Hi Kieran.

I can't help you with your problem unfortunately, but i'm writing to say i'm in the same boat. If anyone has any help or direction for us, that would be great.
I've not got the cash to fork out for a £9000 course (who has though, really??). But i'm coming to the end of my 20's and really want to start something worthwhile.

Hope someone can point us in the right direction.

Paul

This website may help you to understand the various routes to becoming an electrician.

The cheapest way is doing the 2365 and NVQ3 or 2357 at college, they should be in the region of about £1800 for level 2 and the same for level 3, unless you are under 19 when it may not cost.

Have a search for local colleges doing these courses. There are also various options for doing these by distance learning.

These are the underpinning knowledge qualifications that will provide the basis for your electrical career.

The Part P you refer to is only a section of the building regulations and does not need a course read the Part P approved document and you will have all the information you need to be able to understand how to comply with the building regulations and notify building control of required work and join a competent persons scheme (if you need to).

The inspection and testing qualifications (2392, 2394, 2395 possibly 2396) will be additional to the above mentioned courses.

Doing the short course your friend has done (at a much greater cost) will mean that he will be unable to get any commercial or industrial work, woudl not be able to get a ECS card and would be unable to work on sites, he will also be very short on experience and understanding unless he is very capable.

This website may help you to understand the various routes to becoming an electrician.

The cheapest way is doing the 2365 and NVQ3 or 2357 at college, they should be in the region of about £1800 for level 2 and the same for level 3, unless you are under 19 when it may not cost.

Have a search for local colleges doing these courses. There are also various options for doing these by distance learning.

These are the underpinning knowledge qualifications that will provide the basis for your electrical career.

The Part P you refer to is only a section of the building regulations and does not need a course read the Part P approved document and you will have all the information you need to be able to understand how to comply with the building regulations and notify building control of required work and join a competent persons scheme (if you need to).

The inspection and testing qualifications (2392, 2394, 2395 possibly 2396) will be additional to the above mentioned courses.

Doing the short course your friend has done (at a much greater cost) will mean that he will be unable to get any commercial or industrial work, woudl not be able to get a ECS card and would be unable to work on sites, he will also be very short on experience and understanding unless he is very capable.

Many thanks, I will see what's available in my area

Reply to is this the only route ?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net