Discuss Messy choc block for lighting circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soozypoo

DIY
Reaction score
I have just been in the process of changing some old 12v halogen downlights in the bathroom for bathroom for mains volt leds.
My late father was a retired spark so know a little of doing some basic things.

The previous downlight transformers had been wired into a choc block which was just left in the open. Upon examining it yesterday I went to buy wago connectors and a box as it was a complete mess, and against regs, tested my lights were working before attempting to remove the block. But today upon checking again I'm a little confused now and thought may be best to get someone in now.
I'll try explain so it makes sense
I've got a loop in from hallway light, old wires so black red and cpc, a pull switch in this is 2 reds and an earth, one red attached to the main choc block (switched live) , the other red is connected in a separate block from the main chock block which had been taped up with 2 other reds one from the loop in (hallway) and the one out to the next bedroom.
Firstly why would someone have used twin red and earth? Or was this normal for pull cord switches, And secondly would the second red (not the switched live) in theory be classed as the neutral as would be black if the same cable was used there in the loop in and out, if so why is it in a block with the 2 lives 🤔 which I can only assume.
Surely if this was the case they'd be a massive problem, and I'd have known about it by now. these lights have been this way for as long as I remember, and all rooms work as they should.
Obviously I'm not going any further, In theory with the wago 222, I've have had 3 connectors earth's in one all neutrals in another a 3rd for the lives and a 2 lever for the switched live but now not risking anything until I know further.
Hopefully this makes sense
Many thanks

Attachments

• DSC_2929.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 16
  • _20220605_100015.JPG
    510.4 KB · Views: 16
Definitely get a spark mate, why wouldn’t anyone use twin red and earth it saves sleeving the neutral (black wire that you don’t have) as a switched live….and that I think answers the second part of ya question if I’ve understood you correctly 😁

Definitely get a spark mate, why wouldn’t anyone use twin red and earth it saves sleeving the neutral (black wire that you don’t have) as a switched live….and that I think answers the second part of ya question if I’ve understood you correctly 😁
I think my brain has got confuddled (not hard) looking at these wires too long 😂 I've realised now I think after a biscuit and cuppa that a switch only has live and switched live (neutral blue becomes the switched live by a bit of added brown tape or sleeve and the other brown would stay as live, so would just be the same with the 2 reds) so what's in the sep block would be correct, but I can't be bothered to crawl around in fibreglass again now, let some other soul do it lol

Reply to Messy choc block for lighting circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net