Discuss My cool new way to earth SY screen. Feel free to keep this one as a freebie... lol in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: My cool new way to earth SY screen. Feel free to keep this one as a freebie... lo

Why is it always down to cost? Do car manufacturers sell you a car with a motorbike engine because of cost? You get given the price and you either can afford it or not, so since when does electrics operate under a different business model?

Re: My cool new way to earth SY screen. Feel free to keep this one as a freebie... lo

where are you buying your glands from at £17 a piece ?? B&Q ? lol

I don't get the £17 quoted price, recently on a job where SY was used we bought some SY glands to add an extra couple of lights to the circuit and the client insisted on consistency. The glands were £5.52 + VAT for a pack of Two....comparable to SWA glands for a given size...

Been using good quality SY gland about £3 each for a while now, £17 quid :ack2:..... must have seen you coming.

the IP68 stainless steel versions are around £15 a pack.

the cheaper brass cxt glands are pretty crap in comparison.

Been using good quality SY gland about £3 each for a while now, £17 quid :ack2:..... must have seen you coming.

Sent for at that price lol. I've seen them at that price, RS and TLC , for a pair though.

Just read this lot, and uh, so the braid on SY is supposed to be earthed eh?

Everydays a schoolday!
Seriously hope this is sarcasm ..... basic electrical common sense would tell you it should be earthed if used as a general purpose low voltage cable when permitted and grounded if used for its original design as a screened control wire, either way it would be earthed in some manner or other.

Seriously hope this is sarcasm ..... basic electrical common sense would tell you it should be earthed if used as a general purpose low voltage cable when permitted and grounded if used for its original design as a screened control wire, either way it would be earthed in some manner or other.

Knew someone would bite :earmuffs:

Yup whenever if had to use it, which has been fairly rare we had the right glands. Though I do see it the way wades done more often when were out and about, and even more times where it just goes through a stuffing gland and not earthed at all!

I think with a bit of sleeve on it its not too bad, ok not 'proper' but at least it's earthed!

I see it used all the time with screen taped off unearthed, its unbelievable how many so called competent sparks and engineers use SY without earthing it ... it scares me that just because the reg's dont specifically cover this set-up as its a cable been used outside its original design that they cant use there electrical knowledge and theory to make a judgement call ....well either that or they have just blagged their way through their career jobs.

Hence i asked you TFS2012

I see it used all the time with screen taped off unearthed, its unbelievable how many so called competent sparks and engineers use SY without earthing it ... it scares me that just because the reg's dont specifically cover this set-up as its a cable been used outside its original design that they cant use there electrical knowledge and theory to make a judgement call ....well either that or they have just blagged their way through their career jobs.

Hence i asked you TFS2012

Know what you mean mate, sarcasms a bit hit n miss when delivering through the internet!

Ok ok, arse well and truly ripped.

Points to make in my defence... if the court will allow.

1. At least i have the good grace to earth both ends of the braid. "and so you should blah blah" all you super never put a foot wrong sparks will say. But in my experience, limited alll that it is, i rarely, in fact if ever come across earthed SY let alone both ends. So balls to your perfect world, at least its bloody earthed.

2. I am still finding my feet with sort of work - i do not have 20 years+ know it all ammo behind me like many of you, so i dpont know the good suppliers, i dont know where to get all my bits from yet, i do not know exactly the best gear for the job

3. The glands i used came with the interlock switches - clearly i made the amazingly wrong assumption therse would suffice for the job as they are IP66 and supplied by the manufacturer. Not often do i buy something then throw away things that come in the box along with the product. Clearly this was wrong - at the price of those glands (Thank you spoon) i shall get some in stock. It is not always about cost, but where i can save my company some money if it does not compromise safety, i will. i was unaware i was endangering lives in this instance....

4. Cable tray is something i am trying to use more of as was suggested in a previous post. How else am i to fix cable to it if not with cable ties every 4 inches? Genuine question.

5. Why are 80% of replies to most posts on this forum assaults rather then advice now. If what i have done is rough, tell me its rough. Then please tell me how it could be improved to the standards YOU deem acceptable if you are going to sit there and tell me what i have done is Pony.

6. I HAVE sleeved it, just find it easier to navigate the sleeve over the cable when it has been ferruled.

Hi Ben,
As most of the people on this site know, we learn something new each day.
I know you are still finding your feet so I am happy to help you whenever I can.. Most of the time my advice comes across like am kicking your arse, but its not always meant that way. Sometimes it as, as we all need a good kick every now and then so we get our heads out of our arses.
Regarding your point 4: Our guys use a lot of cable tray and generally use cable ties to fix the cables.
I have to agree with your point 5. I don't mind people slagging me off, as long as they have the common courtesy to tell me to give me some good advice as well.

Ok wade, I respect your honesty and in general we need more of it, however what concerns me is that if you don't concentrate on getting the basics right then how will you deal with more complex issues? The other advice that I can offer is that do not measure your work to that of others particularly if you know it to be wrong. Work to the requirements and guidance of the bs7671 and associated books and you should not go far wrong. As for materials then have a half day calling around local wholesalers and you will soon find who is genuine and who is after ripping you.
All the best!

Reply to My cool new way to earth SY screen. Feel free to keep this one as a freebie... lol in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net