Discuss Now I think I have seen it all but prob not in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Phone call yesterday, " my shower switch has smoke coming out of it" Ok can you turn of the breaker " Yes I have done" Right I can be there about 2PM, So yep the switch has been toasted,( due to water ingress according to the customer)
But wait whats those extra cables on the supply side ?? "Oh thats the bathroom UFH " straight to the stat no FCU, Right lets get the cover of the shower unit, Yep 10Kw 6mm cable and gods knows what the UFH is drawing, any way you know the rest, so I ask the customer who did your wiring,pause, emm my brother in law, nuff said eh,

Pict

I always give the scare story for there own benefit... id have left with 'He might have thought he was doing you a favour but he could have caused a fire here and may even have been loss of life' --- it won't take much persuasion as it was pouring out with smoke.

This way they usually get a pro' in the next time and i bet the bro' in law get a reality check too.

Exactly, I gave him the truth didn't pull any punches, he was quite shaken as I left especially I think as the kids room is above the bathroom, I asked what do you think could have happened if this occured when you were using the shower then stepped out dripping wet onto the floor to turn it off, I stopped short of telling him that as he had no RCD and the fault was live to earth he probably would have known very little about it, must admit it is moments like this that remind you that the precuations and regs are there in fact to prevent death and or injury

I had a very similar sort of thing where someone had a new cooker and the son in law had wired it back up as the installers refused, when I got to it it was crackling nicely and on removing the cooker the cable was chewed to bits and sparking away and melting against the wooden wall!
I did point out that this could well be deadly so the son in law was not really helping at all.

I have had a few calls like that Richard where other trades are refusing point blank to re-connect appliances, a lady phoned couple of days back could I come and disconnect a washer so the plumber can fix a leak, then later the same day could I connect it back uo again, I mean I can appreciate the caution but cant these guys phone a spark in advance but perhaps they are in a strop cause they read our forum and cant take the ribbing
Pict

Exactly, I gave him the truth didn't pull any punches, he was quite shaken as I left especially I think as the kids room is above the bathroom, I asked what do you think could have happened if this occured when you were using the shower then stepped out dripping wet onto the floor to turn it off, I stopped short of telling him that as he had no RCD and the fault was live to earth he probably would have known very little about it, must admit it is moments like this that remind you that the precuations and regs are there in fact to prevent death and or injury
so...

has Mr Scaffold installed any downlights in that bathroom as well?....fire rated?

Reply to Now I think I have seen it all but prob not in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net