Currently reading:
Old Style CU - Replace asap ?

Discuss Old Style CU - Replace asap ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elec-tricks

Hi
whilst doing some work at the girlfriends house during the week (evenings) i noticed that she has an old style consumer unit.
i.e. has a master breaker but no rcd's and only 4 rcbo's.
given that the new regs will require a non combustable cu, would it be a good idea to replace this asap ?
many thanks

Hi
whilst doing some work at the girlfriends house during the week (evenings) i noticed that she has an old style consumer unit.
given that the new regs will require a non combustable cu, would it be a good idea to replace this asap ?
many thanks

Probably not....are all the circuits on RCBOs? What do you mean by master breaker?

sorry, think i'm confusing the terminology here :/
the master breaker (large double pole red switch) fed directly from the meter.
no rcd's (the ones with the "test" button)
individual circuits (2x32a breaker for sockets & 2x6a breaker for lights)
just want to make the system as safe as i can for her and the kids.
many thanks for putting up with my confusion.

she is going to be redoing the kitchen at some point in the near future and i want to put the kitchen circuits separate, so i'll need to be in it then anyway.
there isn't a huge amount of space in the cu, probably only room for another 1 or possibly 2 breakers (not had chance to get the cover off yet).
meant to take a photo before i left, but forgot :/
thanks for your help :)

That is not a breaker, it's a switch!

Now you are talking about breakers for each circuit, earlier you said RCBOs, which is it?

Are you an electrician?

After reading your OP I doubt you are capable of doing it yourself.

Hi elec-tricks. Regardless of you knowing all the terminology or if you have done a 5 year or 5 month course, I take it you have all the test equipment (celebrated) to do a CU swap?

You could have done with taking them pics you were meant to, as your post is confusing mate...

just because i don't know what the things are called, doesn't mean i can't do the job!

Yes it does, if you don't know what the devices are called how are you going to look up the relevant information to do your design calculations and confirm your test results?
For that matter how are you going to design the installation full stop?
Plus of course the bloke behind the counter at the wholesalers will be adding a significant 'show leather surcharge' for going backwards and forwards picking up the parts you ask for and putting them back again!

Hi
many thanks

PLEASE stop now, with respect, you do not have anything like the skill level needed to do any of this work.
I know its great to be the bloke who can do everything, think of all the brownie points, but please just do stuff that is within your skill set, you'll not learn how to safely install new circuits and/or change a consumer unit by asking questions on an Internet forum.

You need a registered electrician. She won't thank you if the fire brigade has to be called.

PLEASE stop now, with respect, you do not have anything like the skill level needed to do any of this work.
I know its great to be the bloke who can do everything, think of all the brownie points, but please just do stuff that is within your skill set, you'll not learn how to safely install new circuits and/or change a consumer unit by asking questions on an Internet forum.

You need a registered electrician. She won't thank you if the fire brigade has to be called.

To be fair, i'm not asking how to change / install new circuits (which i can do with ease btw.), i'm asking if it is needed.

I then presume mate that you have tested the existing circuit and everything is ok?

To be fair, i'm not asking how to change / install new circuits (which i can do with ease btw.), i'm asking if it is needed.

No disrespect elec-tricks but how can you? If you don't even know if it's needed or not.

edit: IMO the thread should be closed as the OP it clearly out of his depth and will carry on regardless....hopefully without the advice of the forum.

Last edited:
No disrespect elec-tricks but how can you? If you don't even know if it's needed or not.

edit: IMO the thread should be closed as the OP it clearly out of his depth and will carry on regardless....hopefully without the advice of the forum.

i guess that's a "i don't know either" then ?
thought this forum was a friendly place at first. guess i was wrong.
oh well...
live and learn.
bye

i guess that's a "i don't know either" then ?
thought this forum was a friendly place at first. guess i was wrong.
oh well...
live and learn.
bye

It is a friendly place elec-tricks. Members just don't want you to do work your are not capable of doing (even though you think you are). No body is perfect but your basic terminology is appalling....so one can only assume you don't have sufficient knowledge to carry out the work. You say you are competent (or you can do it at ease as you put earlier) but don't know if the existing board needs changing or not....

Last edited:
You say you've done a Domestic Installers course but have limited practical experience, I would be trying to gain the experience before attempting to do a CU change, anyone can screw a board to a wall and tighten up terminals, it takes experience to do it safely and to the regs.

Hi,
What's ringing alarm bells for people on here is when you say stuff like:
'i.e. has a master breaker but no rcd's and only 4 rcbo's.'
A RCBO is, off course, and RCD and MCB combined.If you've done a course and understood it, gathered together all the information you need and have the aptitude then of course you can install a new CU. How are you going to notify your work (up to £5000 fine if you don't and voids most insurance policies)? Why avoid installing an amd3 CU, it's safer!
I'd find someone who can issue Third part certs, (see https://www.gov.uk/third-party-certification-schemes-for-domestic-electrical-work), so a Napit or Stroma CPS registered electrician and have them check your work and issue the cert and notify the work.
Or maybe just pay a registered spark to do the work for your girlfriend!
Cheers
s

Reply to Old Style CU - Replace asap ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock