Discuss Permanent or Temporary structure? To weatherproof or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As the title suggests, would you class this as a permanent or temporary structure?

Quick overview. End of terraced property, UPVC roof fitted and sealed with flashing etc to the building structure. Other side of roof attached to 6 foot wall, mainly brick with pillars roughly 3000mm apart with the usual wood fence dressing.

284891_10150987551996766_2144499256_n.jpg 422416_10150987552231766_1400838544_n.jpg

As you can see the doors are yet to be fitted at each end but I believe he has ordered hardwood timber frames to go in.

My real question is what accessories would you fit in here?

There will be a garage CU fitted next to the main house one (Wylex 3036) with tails dropped into henleys, simple enough job as then just pass the cables through the wall. 16/20A radial for 2x 2G sockets and 6A for a couple of lights, either floro or baton as he hasn't decided yet. RCD protection and all that good stuff. Only light use DIY tools and the lawn mower.

This is where I'm getting a little stuck, now would you class this as a similar build to say a conservatory as the build method and materials are the same and go with conduit and patress boxes or weatherproof boxes etc?

This is work for a mate and he's not in any rush but I may use this as part of my scam registration, yes, it looks like I'm taking the plunge...

Only my personal opinion but if the sockets were to be installed on the house wall (none fence panelled side) and far enough inside the structure to avoid driving rain then i'd install conduit normal sockets (or even metalclad sockets). If sockets were to be installed close to the intended door position's i'd go outdoor waterproof sockets.

All will be mounted on the building side purely due to me being lazy... :lol:

My only real concern is the possibility of damp effecting the accessories over time as there's no heating and the wall has no form of damp protection.

Think of it another way.....with door's either end it effectively becomes a garage...how many garages have heating and/or damp protection and what sort of fitting's would you put in a stand alone garage?

I suspected as much, damp will get to them all really whether it be Ip rated stuff, metal clad or plastic, the copper cables go green etc.
Problem with IP rated sockets is getting into them, they are a real pain, personally unless it was outside or in an area where there is flying water and spray i would not bother. I would go plastic as much as possible, like plastic conduit, plastic conduit back boxes and plastic switches.

I am leaning towards plastic but may stick a weatherproof socket outside at each end for garden power, I've got a couple lying around in my gizzit box.

Reply to Permanent or Temporary structure? To weatherproof or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net