Discuss Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
@westward10 apologies. No offence was meant on my part and I have to say I missed Chris's last comments so will never know what pearls of wisdom he had to say :( North of the boarder we're made of string stuff so I cant imagine he would have been offensive...

it only breaks intermittently. like morning break 10.00.dinner break 12.30. smoke breaks on the hour, every hour,

th
Only if you get it all of the time, and not every so often. or intermittently. Soz Ant in one of those moods, forgive please.
Chris was told we are supposed to be sealing all entry points to the CU according The the wiring regulations by the guy running the course but that’s not what’s in the Regulations hence the post
To be honest a few years ago with a previous NICEIC inspector in the days of plastic C.U's he picked up that one of the lads on the back had knocked out the whole of the knockout and not part and pulled us up regarding the enclosure and this was on a plasterboard dot and dab wall with block behind. In the video there is a cavity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Box it in using asbestos would probably achieve a better fire rating ?
Actually, plasterboard would probably be better. When subjected to the heat from a fire, the gypsum decomposes and releases water which provides protection. That's why fire rated walls and ceilings might just need to be "double boarded" with standard plasterboard.
I also worked on a building where a metal control board set on fire inside and the heat was intense enough for the wooden partition next to it to spontaneously com-busted, even though the flames did not escape the metal enclosure.
The key question being - how long did it take ? The idea of fire breaks and fire alarms is to merely slow the fire down for long enough for people to get out - in small buildings I believe 30 minutes is considered sufficient. I would imagine that if a panel was that hot, it (and the hot wood near to it) would have given off enough fumes to trigger a properly installed fire alarm long before the wood actually combusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net