strange fault

Discuss strange fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wattsup

Strange fault.
Rewire, 8 circuits all rcbo protected
Tests out ok
Intermittent fault
Turn basement lights off at switch (fed via a 6a rcbo)

basement power trips? (on an adjacent 16a rcbo)
no crossed neutrals.

The 16a rcbo trips when turning lights off not on?
Any ideas, never seen this type of fault before.

Impossible ? you would think, or i would

no ne fault, my first thought btw. In any case if ne fault it would/should trip the relevant rcbo...I would think? and the fault would be there whatever ...only trips when switch off basement lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure that if the l/n terminals have a resistor across them that all the fittings that supposed to have them do have them.

We had a fitting that was doing the exact same thing, it was missing its resistor that it normally had. Replaced that and the rcd didn't trip anymore.

Make sure that if the l/n terminals have a resistor across them

Ahh, I do know one fitting has the supressor for sure.....I'll check the others on monday, good call, hope you are right,,,clutching at anything right now

Do you have any items plugged into the 16amp circuit that trips out? if so what are they.

Its really is a brain teaser this one..., Have you done a full IR test? Might be worth doing it again
Are you sure you got L&N connected correctly in the fittings including PIR?
Check you have the same L&N out the RCD for all ccts?
Is the neutral bar correcly connected.

Any chance of getting a pic so we can all have a look of the DB?

I've been following the thread with interest. Glad to hear it's been resolved, mate. The old adage of buy cheap, pay twice comes to mind. It's just a shame the customer cant ever see this!

The Great Lord Proteus strikes again.
Complete and utter CEF rubbish, another example of whats wrong with the bloody industry. How on earth are these companies in business peddling such rubbish:mad:.

Last edited by a moderator:
just come to light tonight...
A year or so ago there was a 'bad batch' of protec rcd's/rcbo's.
Anyhow the manager of the wholesaler (small independant shop) vowed never to stock protec ever again, sick of callouts and exchanging cu's for contractors who had bought.

The supplier gave assurances the problem was fixed, so he bought in again at a very cheap price...sweetener. All has been well apparently for the past 12 months or so. Until now!

Reply to strange fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock