Discuss strange fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Be intresting on discon flyleads !
good luck buddy when you do find the fault please post on my Tell us your faults thread.
Regards
Kung.

Update
First off, it is a protek board / rcbo's, not proteus as I first said. Don't know why I said proteus
Anyhow, tried the easy bits first, no loose neutrals etc
Disconnected rcbo earth tails, still trips basement power.
Last resort, which I knew would be pain, move rcbo basement 16a rcbo to far end of board
At first I thought fixed, no trip, went into overdrive on off on off basement lights, tried it 20 times or more, customer at side of me, no trip.
Right fixed!
Err no, packed tools up, turned basement lights off, friggin downstairs ring main tripped.
The actual basement lights never trip, always other rcbo.
As I said before, the basement lighting circuit is 3 fluros and one pir flood only, I can actually physically see and trace cables, no damage, all connections secure blah de blah..
Please remember, trip only happen when switching off lights, not on.
Headache, I'm going to fit a new board, Crabtree Wylex or MEM I asked the customer to get, (I didn't supply anything) see what happens...
Lost me this one

how are the flouros wired? i presume 3 plate then a loop off to others? try disconnecting the loop to rule out dodgy fittings etc..

But going back to my fault previous the loose neutrals in the flourescent fitting caused other rcbo's to trip whenever i turned the light OFF,

In case it is induced by the neighbouring MCB, have you got space to put a blank between them? Or move them around the board? Just to test out the theory, be interesting to hear if it cures it.

PJ

Its the switching off, that causes the trip. No, not three plate, neutrals connected thru at switch boxes.

I can't get my head round to the 'off' that causes other rcbo to trip. If rcd then maybe dodgy ne fault, but not rcbo's. Each rcbo should be a dedicated circuit?

no ne fault, my first thought btw. In any case if ne fault it would/should trip the relevant rcbo...I would think? and the fault would be there whatever ...only trips when switch off basement lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure that if the l/n terminals have a resistor across them that all the fittings that supposed to have them do have them.

We had a fitting that was doing the exact same thing, it was missing its resistor that it normally had. Replaced that and the rcd didn't trip anymore.

Make sure that if the l/n terminals have a resistor across them

Ahh, I do know one fitting has the supressor for sure.....I'll check the others on monday, good call, hope you are right,,,clutching at anything right now

I'd agree with des56. and OldeSparky
unbalanced Neutral earth voltages, however they are caused, can produce nuisance tripping on other unrelated RCBOs. Its usually caused at the point of switching both on and off.

Do you have any items plugged into the 16amp circuit that trips out? if so what are they.

Its really is a brain teaser this one..., Have you done a full IR test? Might be worth doing it again
Are you sure you got L&N connected correctly in the fittings including PIR?
Check you have the same L&N out the RCD for all ccts?
Is the neutral bar correcly connected.

Any chance of getting a pic so we can all have a look of the DB?

Tested again, same 'good results'...so changed board to wylex. Problem fixed!

Another ...kin 6 hours testing retesting, scratching head, but some relief at last...beware of protek rcbos

I've been following the thread with interest. Glad to hear it's been resolved, mate. The old adage of buy cheap, pay twice comes to mind. It's just a shame the customer cant ever see this!

The Great Lord Proteus strikes again.
Complete and utter CEF rubbish, another example of whats wrong with the bloody industry. How on earth are these companies in business peddling such rubbish:mad:.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to strange fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net