Discuss Switch with on-off light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post in this very lively forum! Thanks in advance to those who will answer my (hope not too silly) question.
I'm not expert but i can safely handle electricity and stuff. Please reply in not-too-technical terms as I'm a bit rusty :) thank you.

I have a switch on a wall and I want to replace it with one with the embedded red on-off light, to show me when the switch is on or off.

The "old" switch is one phase only so control only the live (maybe the neutral, need to check) of the appliance (2 bulbs and a small aspirator).

The only switch with the red on-off light that I could find has got 3 phases (live + neutral + earth) and when I tried to replace it, I connected the wire in the wall one end into the IN and the other into the OUT. The switch works well BUT the little red on-off light does not light on, so it does not indicate when the switch is on or off as I suspect that little red light needs both the live AND neutral to work?

If this is the case, how can I get the red light to work? Does exist (I looked everywhere on ebay, online, trade stores, etc..) a mono-phase switch with the red on-off light which would fit the standard wall box?

This is my current/"old" switch. One phase only.
/ __

This is the new one with the red on-off light. 3 phases

_/ __
_/ __
____

Many thanks!
a.

The simplest option is to use a gridswitch and neon indicator wired across it. This will light when the switch is off. Also shows where the switch is when it's dark.

You need a neutral at the switch for the light to work, unfortunately there isn't really any safe way around this that I am aware of.

Years ago there was a common way of dealing with this, but we don’t do that any more. Not even with a neon.

CR Magnetics CR2550-A Low Cost Remote Current Indicator with Amber LED, 1.5 AAC Turn-On Point: Electronic Component Current Sensors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific - https://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-CR2550-Current-Indicator/dp/B005CWG6YA

Buy one of these, a 1 m length of 1mm2 brown single core flexible wire, one WAGO connector and a simple switch plate. Drill a hole in the switch plate for the LED to go through. Pass the switched line through the hole of the current transformer. Apply power and see if the LED lights with the load on. If it does not light, or only dimly, pass the switched line through the hole twice, thrice, four times....until you achieve a satisfactory illumination. You may need the 1mm2 flex to do the looping through the current transformer - wire one end of it into the switch and the using the WAGO connect to the solid core switched line.

REMEMBER TO TURN OFF THE MAIN SWITCH BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE HOUSE WIRING!!!!!

Please send a picture - ideally before you connect up so it can be checked - or if you are competent after installation.

Last edited:
Some smart switches come with an LED light and don’t require a neutral.
LightwaveRF has orange light when off and blue when on.
138DD84A-6089-412A-802F-05D18D1234EE.jpeg

Are you certain there is no neutral in a connector in the back box?

The simplest option is to use a gridswitch and neon indicator wired across it. This will light when the switch is off. Also shows where the switch is when it's dark.
Thanks Timbo, I was thinking of a neon light. Are you saying then that the neon light will lit up even if across a single phase? But only if that is the live phase right? I understand that it will lit when switch is off and turn off when switch is off, right? It is the opposite of what I was looking for but it could work i guess ;-)

CR Magnetics CR2550-A Low Cost Remote Current Indicator with Amber LED, 1.5 AAC Turn-On Point: Electronic Component Current Sensors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific - https://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-CR2550-Current-Indicator/dp/B005CWG6YA

Buy one of these, a 1 m length of 1mm2 brown single core flexible wire, one WAGO connector and a simple switch plate. Drill a hole in the switch plate for the LED to go through. Pass the switched line through the hole of the current transformer. Apply power and see if the LED lights with the load on. If it does not light, or only dimly, pass the switched line through the hole twice, thrice, four times....until you achieve a satisfactory illumination. You may need the 1mm2 flex to do the looping through the current transformer - wire one end of it into the switch and the using the WAGO connect to the solid core switched line.

REMEMBER TO TURN OFF THE MAIN SWITCH BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE HOUSE WIRING!!!!!

Please send a picture - ideally before you connect up so it can be checked - or if you are competent after installation.

wow, this is a super creative solution! thanks! Only Marconi could think of that :))
It seems a bit over complicated and costly (cant find that item in the UK apparently) but it is certainly a good idea --many thanks!

Some smart switches come with an LED light and don’t require a neutral.
LightwaveRF has orange light when off and blue when on.
View attachment 52543

Are you certain there is no neutral in a connector in the back box?

Good idea. They are all very expensive (over 100 pound) but I will think about it. Many thanks for the suggestion. And, no, I'm sure there is no other phase (not sure if live or neutral yet I need to buy a phase tester) in the box. Only one.

Hi Timbo, I did wire the neon light across the switch but the appliance (1 bulb) stays on a bit (very dimmed down). I guess its some residual charge going through the neon? Strange I thought neon bulbs wouldn't allow electricity to flow? What can I do now? I was thinking maybe a diode? (if they still exist hahahah)

Reply to Switch with on-off light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net