Search the forum,

Discuss voltage Optimiser - A Load Of Bull?!?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I did look at the Vphase units seriously, they were being promoted at a NAPIT conference and that is how i heard of them. What was clear is that they are not design to do anything other than drop the output volts and realistically the VA they can handle is limited even for a domestic. As already mentioned anything that is a heating load is automatically ruled out so this limits the installation to the lighting ccts and sockets in some parts of the house as there is some energy savings due to reduced losses in PSUs that are scattered around the house. I was interested in it for a client that was enduring a supply voltage of 250+ and his bulbs were blowing weekly / daily. In the end i converted them to a combination of low voltage and fluorescent.
Personally i cannot see them adding much value

BBC’s watchdog filmed some one doing just that. An empty patress box with a blank plate and a bit of 1.5 T+E vanishing in to the CU. It wasn’t even connected to anything.

What savings did they make or was that the problem

They are based on multi tapped auto-transformers with solid state switching. Any transformer will have inherent losses. As the load increases the higher the losses. It then reaches the point where it goes in to bypass. Even at minimal load you can’t escape the transformer losses.

Many years ago I did an experiment on a large scale. Four 20MVA 33/11KV transformers with on load tap changers. Over several weeks I lowered the voltage available the plants. Voltage went down, current went up.
1KW = 1KW no matter what you do to it.

Reply to voltage Optimiser - A Load Of Bull?!?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock