Discuss Volumetric doser controller without opto-isolator on dry contact input in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

sysrq

-
Reaction score
Bipolar stepper motor H-bridge MOSFET output transistor burned out together with 100nF ceramic capacitor (in parallel between earth and +24V rail) and resettable PPTC fuse after someone decided to apply 110 AC voltage on dry contact input terminals. They said everything was working for couple of hours only with some flickering (due to AC input signal).

Manufacturer forgot to add some optocoupler or induction based coupler.

WITTMANN BATTENFELD - DOSIMAX MC Basic - Volumetric dosing - Blending - Auxiliary Equipment

Microcontroller NPN input tranistor seems intact as current there wasn't that high.

Last edited:
Sounds like it reeked some havoc on the input stage but also sounds repairable if it's just discreet components like FETs, transistors, fuse and cap. Most manufacturers wouldn't i-couple or optocouple to isolate unless there are more issues at stake other than a few input-stage components.

Thanks for answer. I will replace damaged components tomorrow and then see what happens. Sometimes it works successfully.

I guess it's not worth for the manufacturer to use opto-isolator if there is only one input.

Unfortunately mosfet driver ic with unknown part number (L638SED E920 or 6K374, google can't find anything) is compromised as well, so this board is rubbish now.

Last edited:
If it's taken the driver IC then it will require a complete control board. Some manufacturers run an exchange system where you mail the old one to them and you get a repaired board back that usually carries a warranty. It's a lot cheaper but not always available as an option.

I'm not sure about them making mistakes :nonod:, the L638SED doesn't appear in any of my reference books but it maybe a proprietary variation of the L6388ED specifically for that controller card maybe with different bootstrapping arrangements for example.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about them making mistakes :nonod:, the L638SED doesn't appear in any of my reference books but it maybe a proprietary variation of the L6388ED specifically for that controller card maybe with different bootstrapping arrangements for example.

I think then it's not commercial one.

Sometimes they may mark components differently to make them unrecognisable in order to avoid unauthorized repairs.

Last edited:
after someone decided to apply 110 AC voltage on dry contact input terminals

Ha, a friend told me about a control panel that had been built and supplied with contact closure inputs labelled from A to Z. They got a call saying it had gone bang when powered up, when they sent an engineer out he found 3-phase 400V connected to R, S & T, because they are the phase letters!

Reply to Volumetric doser controller without opto-isolator on dry contact input in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock