Discuss What to do with chasings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am not up on the current UK regulations and will leave others to comment on that, but in France all cables are run in flexible conduit or Gaine as its called, the difference with the French supplied Gain is that it all has draw wires or is cable populated already.

I am not up on the UK regulations and will leave others to comment on that, but in France all cables are run in flexible conduit or Gaine as its called, the difference with the French supplied Gain is that it all has draw wires or is cable populated already.
Yes. That would generally be the norm in mainland Europe. They prefer flexible pipe to our wavin or your capping. The UK are the first country that I am aware of to allow direct plastering of pvc

So rough. Not a chance I would be installing cables to be directly plastered over. Common practice here is to use conduit every time. Personally I think its much much better than capping also.
Yes. That's what I would have expected. Are you a UK based sparks? Would you know which reg (if any) in BS7671gives guidance on installing pvc cables in wall chases?

Yes. That's what I would have expected. Are you a UK based sparks? Would you know which reg (if any) in BS7671gives guidance on installing pvc cables in wall chases?
Well I live in Ireland, but follow BS7671 as I'm north of the border. I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any reg to say that cables can't be directly plastered over if RCD protected

It's covered in BS7671 in Appendix 4 page 389 as a recognised installation method; table 4A2 numbers 57 & 58 respectively.

Single or Multicore cable direct in masonary without (57) / with (58) added mechanical protection is reference method C.

Reference method C is described on page 384, the term masonry is to include brickwork, concrete, plaster and similar, but exclude thermally insulated materials.

It's covered in BS7671 in Appendix 4 page 389 as a recognised installation method; table 4A2 numbers 57 & 58 respectively.

Single or Multicore cable direct in masonary without (57) / with (58) added mechanical protection is reference method C.

Reference method C is described on page 384, the term masonry is to include brickwork, concrete, plaster and similar, but exclude thermally insulated materials.
Much appreciated. Thanks. ?

Mile, the post of Taylor's that you commented about is #29, and this does have context with it - the previous reply has been quoted.

I think post #19 was probably mentioned in error.

7.2.5 Requirements for RCD"s

522.6.202 (f) For cables without earthed metallic covering installed in wall or partitions at a depth of less than 50mm and not protected by earthed steel conduit or similar.

Note: Metallic capping does not meet the requirements fo mechanical protection as required by 522.6.204. Metallic capping is used to protect the cables during the installation process and, once plastered over, does not provide any further protection.

Last edited:
I think it's fair to state that the vast majority of domestic installations in the UK wouldn't meet the stipulations for exemption from RCD protection. I think it's also fair to state that it's often cheaper to fit a new CU, than adding additional protections.

The question posed in the OP was whether or not a new CU was required and, while it's easy to state that it would be better/easier/cheaper to fit a new CU, can anyone really give an empirical answer about what is actually required (as opposed to what might be recommended) on the basis of one image? While there may be a best method for skinning a cat, as the old proverb states; "there is more than one way" to do so.

Reply to What to do with chasings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net