Discuss Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

For all you know the plaster could of been yanking it around left, right and center.

From the pic, it wouldn't have taken much for the cable to come out, as it looks like it's only had connection at the tip of the wire.

Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire upload_2019-2-23_22-53-5 - EletriciansForums.net

Lets see what he has to say on Monday.

Many moons ago as an apprentice, I had my spell on “house Bashing” Four of us, 1 electrician, 2nd and 3rd year apprentices and a labourer. We could rewire a house in a day, mostly done by 2/3 o’clock, some times we were there till 8pm!
We would chop out, fix boxes, wire, cap then 2nd fix in the day, the plasterer would follow the next day....this was standard on Housing Association properties. Not ideal but it is done that way.
So 2 electricians over two days is about the same pace.

The chasing isn’t the best but it certainly isn’t bad.

The melted socket is likely to be caused by what has been plugged into it (plasters 110v transformer would be my guess)

The loose wire is a bit more worrying and is probably down to rushing. Proper testing should have detected that issue.

The SWA going in front of skirting.....who knows why, perhaps there was something obstructing the route behind the skirting or being in a rush it was quicker to put it in front

If a customer is unhappy with any trade’s work or service, the first course of action is to approach the company or individual to discuss and agree remedial work. I don’t understand why @Blaspark is suggesting reporting the electrician to their scheme, the council, etc. particularly when the sparky has already arranged to go back on site. If he/she could not be contacted or had been dismissive that would be a different case, but that’s not what Sarah has outlined here. Anyway, even if the scheme were notified, their first course of action would be to contact their member, whom would rightly say the job is not yet finished and there’s a visit already arranged with the customer for Monday. No further action is needed at this stage.

Hi @Blaspark you do have a point but this is not a war. I think you are saying exposed live parts/sockets should not be left for the client to deal with. You are correct. Is that right?

Proper testing should have detected that issue.

The line conductor that pulled free probably won't have shown up in tests. The screw seems to have indented the copper (albeit in the wrong place) so there would have been a solid metal-metal connection when the testing was done. It was mechanically weak because it wasn't inserted far enough into the terminal.

The problem with this issue is that while it is probably a one-off, it could also point to a bad termination technique on the part of one of the installers, who might simply not be in the habit of tug-testing etc and might have done the same in other fittings.

The burnt socket could be anything, possibly the plug that was inserted. If the front of the socket is more burnt than the terminals at the back, it wasn't the electricians' fault. If the terminals are badly burnt, I would suspect another inadequately inserted cable and would then be keen to have all accessories checked. OP- you wouldn't necessarily expect anything to trip due to bad contact that causes overheating. The MCB would trip in the event of a short-circuit, and the RCD in the event of a leakage e.g. shock to a person. Means to detect this kind of fault (AFDDs) are just being tentatively introduced. They have to be pretty sophisticated to tell the difference between a heater heating up and a plug heating up!

Proper testing should have detected that issue.
I wouldn't agree there. To be honest inspection would be far, far more likely to pick that up than testing. If there was fortuitous contact between the conductors during testing there is no likelihood of finding that through test readings. It's possible to pick up poor contact resistance but it really depends how the two conductors are seated. If the contact is good between them (though not securely screwed together) I don't think passing 200mA through them will tell you much.

basically old scholl like what i was taught. wriggle and pull.if it don't come out, it's good. sod these digital devil's overpriced MFTs. eyes have been finding faults long before the LCD screen with half the characters missing were invented.
Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire upload_2019-2-24_13-32-48 - EletriciansForums.net

I wouldn't agree there. To be honest inspection would be far, far more likely to pick that up than testing. If there was fortuitous contact between the conductors during testing there is no likelihood of finding that through test readings. It's possible to pick up poor contact resistance but it really depends how the two conductors are seated. If the contact is good between them (though not securely screwed together) I don't think passing 200mA through them will tell you much.

Tug test, works every time

Was the property occupied (ie were you living there) whilst the work was being done? As sometimes to maintain heating/power/lighting etc.within the property some second fix is inevitable.
The armoured cable being glanded into the bottom would be exposed for about 200mm before it could be routed behind skirting in any case, but maybe the sparks thought a unit might be built in front of the consumer unit!
The loose wire, most likely a poor connection (as others have said) which pulled out when pulled forward by the plasterer.
The overheated socket, most likely a loose connection in the plug top!

Tug test, works every time
That is just being gullible to think all think it will be perfect. Bit like being sure the fridge light is off, when you shut the door.

The tug test will make sure it doesn’t come out, is what I was saying

Reply to Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock