Discuss Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That is just being gullible to think all think it will be perfect. Bit like being sure the fridge light is off, when you shut the door.
i'll tell you the answer as soon as i work out how to open the fridge door from inside. brrrrrr. it's cold in here.

The cables should be routed through 20mm round conduit.

Am I right @Risteard ?
It's certainly considered good practice here (or indeed standard practice). Across the border it's actually mandatory to protect cables against plaster e.g. with conduit (although as we all know the chemical composition of plaster nowadays isn't actually likely to cause any issue).

Questions I would like answered?

1. How much was the quote?

2. What checks did you make prior to engaging with this particular contractor?

Why Essex ? what has that got to do with the thread ?
People have been charged top whack and still had a sh** job done.
essex post is relevant. if the quote was super low, no wonder thety done in 2 days. if high, then poss rip off.

Questions I would like answered?

1. How much was the quote?

2. What checks did you make prior to engaging with this particular contractor?

I'm with @spark 68 on this......

1. What do you expect the general public to know about pricing of jobs...
If one quote was 1 grand and another was 3 grand then you would be looking at the first one, as the second one may be trying to rip you off..

2. Again, what checks do you expect the general public to know to do...
Usually get a friend to suggest someone is good is good enough for most.

I would suggest that most people that do not know what they are talking about would ask for at least three quotations for work. How could anyone make an informed decision without a comparative quote? If this particular contractor was £1500 when the other two were around £3k and the customwr chose to go with the £1500 option I think that is relevant. I am not saying it is ok to rip someone off but I am saying that expectations of work quality will be linked to the price paid.

Again I would also be asking if they are insured, competent, do they hold any qualifications etc. I would not want my boiler change being carried out by anyone not able or not willing to provide this most basic of information.

Furthermore it says a lot about a customer if price was the only thing looked at when looking at these things.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Not always, the cheapest quote may come from someone who is good but may be just starting out and/or small and will do an exemplary job, othoh you could get someone whom is basically taking p**s and charging high and sending shall we say "operatives" out and charging premium rates.
Seen it done.

Well it’s debatable whether the loose line conductor would have shown up on testing.
I used the term Proper Testing for the benefit of the OP who may not understand terminology like Initial Verifacation which if carried out properly (Proper Testing) WOULD have found that poor termination.

If this particular contractor was £1500 when the other two were around £3k and the customwr chose to go with the £1500 option I think that is relevant. I am not saying it is ok to rip someone off but I am saying that expectations of work quality will be linked to the price paid.

When I was having my ceilings plastered over I got 4 quotes. I went with the second cheapest. They did a great job.

Again I would also be asking if they are insured, competent, do they hold any qualifications etc. I would not want my boiler change being carried out by anyone not able or not willing to provide this most basic of information.

Why would the general public be asking for insurance, competence & quals.... They expect that the electrician will have all the relevant stuff to do the job, otherwise they would not be doing it.
Yes, this is not always the case in real life, but it's what they would expect.

When I was having my ceilings plastered over I got 4 quotes. I went with the second cheapest. They did a great job.

Why would the general public be asking for insurance, competence & quals.... They expect that the electrician will have all the relevant stuff to do the job, otherwise they would not be doing it.
Yes, this is not always the case in real life, but it's what they would expect.

Because they should actually give a damn about people doing work in their house that could, if not done correctly kill someone.

Reply to Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock