Discuss >>>>> !!Bane and tony.towa's Cookbook Central!! <<<<< Daily in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bane, you have surpassed yourself. The pheasant was fantastic. Had 2 each with new spuds and green beans from the garden. Mrs Doc now worried i will want her to cook them all the time.

Looking foward to the puds.

Will have to come back to you on that. Puddings require serious consideration.

Mrs Doc got a ice cream maker for her birthday and has not used it yet. We have a load of strawberry's and plumbs.

Must say, it will have to be good to put Bane back in the crap ranks:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Great things plums!

Forget the usual plum crumble or pies, use some of them to give an Oriental feel to meat.

Plum Sauce

What you need

A tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 shallots (peeled and finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (crushed and finely chopped)
A pound of ripe plums (halved)
5 tablespoons of dry red wine
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of grated fresh root ginger
Salts and black pepper

What you do

Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the shallots and cook for about five minutes, until light brown. Add the garlic and plum halves, cook for a minute then mix in the red wine, brown sugar and vinegar.
Simmer for about ten minutes, sieve the mixture to a puree and take out the plum stones and skins. Stir in the soy sauce ginger and seasoning. Serve warm.

Ideal with steak, duck, chicken turkey.

The sauce can be kept in a fridge for twenty four hours or can be frozen and I've used it after a couple of months and it was fine.

Must say, it will have to be good to put Bane back in the crap ranks:D

YES! Elevated above uselessness.
*Punches the air*

Bane, you have surpassed yourself. The pheasant was fantastic. Had 2 each with new spuds and green beans from the garden. Mrs Doc now worried i will want her to cook them all the time.

Looking foward to the puds.

Glad you both enjoyed them! I think your the only one (other than Tony and I) who has tried these recipes of ours, Spark-Doctor :(

Oh, and as for the book Tony, I've already sorted out the copyright mate ;)

CHOCOLATE PROFITEROLES
Makes 12

You will need:

Butter for greasing
1 Egg (beaten)
1/2pint Whipping cream (whipped)
1 Qty Choux pastry (See below)

BASIC CHOUX PASTRY

You will need:

60g Butter
75g Plain flour
2 Eggs (beaten)

1) Put 60g butter, cut into cubes, into a heavy saucepan with 1/4 pint of water and heat until the butter melts. Bring to a boil.

2) Remove from the heat and add 75g sifted plain flour and a pinch of salt (if preferred). Stir vigorously until the mixture forms a soft ball.

3) Leave to cool slightly, then gradually add 2 lightly beaten eggs, beating well between each addition, to form a smooth, shiny, paste.

CHOCOLATE ICING

You will need:

150g Plain chocolate (chopped)
150ml (1/4 Pint) Double cream

1) Butter a baking tray and sprinkle with water. Put 12 TBSP of choux on the tray and brush with beaten egg. Bake in pre-heated oven at 220C (425F) for 10mins, then bake at 190C (375F) for 20mins. Split each profiterole in half and cool on a rack.

2) Make the chocolate icing. Gently melt the chocolate with the double cream in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth and shiny (don't let it get too hot!).

3) Sandwich the profiteroles together with the whipped cream, place on individual plates, drizzle with the chocolate icing.

Had to go to Dundee yesterday so Mrs Doc went to mothers. I am back now but having to fend for myself.

Have just tried the plumb sauce, banged a scotch bonnet in it to add a bit of kick and had it with a duck breast, it was great.

Only problem is, it was not as good as the pheasant, so Bane has not dropped back to the crap heap:D

Seduction Surprise

Here we go then, just the thing to make the lady in your life feel special and loving towards you. The meal is planned so that the desert can be made in advance and the starters take only a few minutes. The main course can be cooking while you have the starter.

Starter (Asparagus spears in melted butter)

What you need

Twelve fresh asparagus spears
Olive oil (not extra virgin)
Four ounces of butter

What you do

Break off the “woody” part of the asparagus; this is done by holding each end between the thumb and first finger of each hand and bending gently. The asparagus will snap where the soft part starts.
Drizzle some of the oil into a hot griddle pan and put the asparagus into it. Gently griddle the asparagus until it is just going soft, turning occasionally to prevent burning. Whilst doing this gently melt the butter in another pan.
Serve the asparagus on a plate with the melted butter poured over it.

Main Course (Chateaubriand with mustard béarnaise sauce and shoestring chips)

What you need

A Chateaubriand steak (your butcher will give you the right cut) weight about 600grams
One small shallot, finely chopped
Eight black peppercorns, lightly crushed
Two tablespoons of white wine vinegar
Quarter of a pint of white wine
Two tablespoons of chopped tarragon
Three beaten egg yolks
Two hundred grams of melted butter (cooled)
One teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
Five hundred grams of potatoes, cut into matchsticks
Vegetable oil

What you do

Turn on the oven set at 180C and switch on your deep fat frier. Drizzle a little of the oil into a griddle pan and allow it to heat until smoke just starts to come off the oil. Put the steak in the oil and allow it to sizzle, turn the steak over and sear it on the other side. You are not cooking the steak, purely sealing it. Holding the steak with a pair of tongs gently seal the edges of the steak, transfer it to a shallow tray and place in the oven to cook ( twenty minutes should do it medium rare)

Put the shallot, peppercorns, white wine vinegar, white wine and a little of the tarragon into a pan and reduce it to about a quarter of the original volume. When you have done this remove the peppercorns. Transfer the mixture into a bowl. Put the egg yolks into the bowl with the mixture and whisk until it starts to emulsify. Add the hot melted butter a bit at a time whisking after each addition. If the sauce starts to separate add a little hot water and it will reform. When all the butter is added mix in the mustard and the rest of the tarragon. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Fry the chips in the deep fat fryer until golden brown. Drain and dry on a kitchen towel and keep in the oven to remain hot.

Cut the cooked steak in two, place half on each plate. Run some sauce over it and place some of the chips to the side. A nice garnish with this is fresh watercress.

Desert (Raspberry and chocolate torte)

What you need

200gms Broken dark chocolate (good quality)
50gms unsalted butter
4 eggs (separated)
200gms castor sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons self raising flour
200gms fresh raspberries
Icing sugar

What you do

Heat the oven to 180C. Line a square cake tin with parchment and butter it. In a microwave (or in a glass bowl over boiling water)
Gently melt the butter and the chocolate. Whisk the egg yolks and half the sugar until light and fluffy, stir in the cocoa and then fold in the flour. Beat the egg white to peaks and then fold in the rest of the sugar. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture a bit at a time. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for forty minutes. Allow to cool then cut into four inch squares and arrange the raspberries on the top, dusting them lightly with some icing sugar. Keep in fridge until ready to serve. A small amount of single cream is good with this.

The ideal drink is obviously chilled champagne or sparkling white wine.

Make sure that you reap the rewards that night cos when she sees the washing up in the morning she’ll kill you!!!

The ideal drink is obviously chilled champagne or sparkling white wine.

Bloody hell Tony, i am a spark not a merchant banker:D

Does look good, but those green stick things are yuck. Will have to have see if we have some scallops in the freezer.

Mrs Doc not back intil after the Grand Prix.

Will be able to watch a grand prix in peace:D

Point taken, it can be a bit pricey but those green stick things are an ancient aphrodisiac, and the courses are all either renowned as the same or the ingredients used are. I recommend the torte though it is great, even if I say so myself.
Am going to warch the Grand Prix too, a good chance of rain today so it could be quite interesting!!

To Celebrate the return of Shakey.

Welsh Cakes

Here we go then with a traditional recipe for Welsh Cakes, nice and easy and the kids will love them.

What you need

225gms plain flour
85gms castor sugar
Half teaspoon mixed spice
Half teaspoon baking powder
50gms of butter, cut into small pieces
50gms of lard, cut into small pieces
50gms currants
1 beaten egg
A splash of milk
A pinch of salt

What you do

Put the flour, sugar, mixed spices and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter and lard (use your hands) until the mixture is crumbly. Add the currants. Work in the egg until the mixture is a soft dough adding the splash of milk if it seems too dry. It should end up the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.
Roll out the dough to the thickness of your little finger and then cut into 3inch rounds.
If you have one, grease a bakestone with the lard wrapper, if not use a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan and place it over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh Cakes for about 3 minutes on each side.
Remove the cooked welsh cakes and serve warm with butter spread on one side, or sprinkle with castor sugar and store in a tin. Will keep for about a week. You will need to regrease the pan after each batch is "fried".

Welsh Rarebit Muffins
What You Need

50gms plain flour
225gms self raising flour
Teaspoon of baking powder
Half teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
Quarter teaspoon of salt
Half teaspoon of mustard powder
100gms of strong cheese, half grated, half cubed (I can recommend Collier).
6 tablespoons of vegetable oil
150gms of Greek yogurt
125ml of milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce

What You Do

Pre heat an oven to 200C
Mix in a bowl the self raising and plain flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and mustard powder.
Mix in another bowl the cheese, oil, yogurt, milk, egg and Worcester sauce.
Combine the contents of both bowls and divide into muffin cases in a muffin tin.
Cook in the oven for twenty to twenty five minutes (until golden).

For the benefit of Cirrus

1 A Welsh Rarebit is NOT a Cardiff virgin.
2 Everybody enjoys a good muffin.
3 Ideal for your lunchbox

Was halfway out of the back door with Mrs Doc's microwave shouting we were going to be rich, rich, rich. Then she explained that diamonds done come pre cut and polished.:eek:

Diamonds In The Microwave!!!! (How'd you come across that Rum?)

Oh and Spark-Doctor? Your sick! (That vid you sent me, though I could send you some pretty nasty ones too)

Anyway, today I'm feeling posh (had a shower already) so, here's one that will really wow your friends if you ever entertain guests at your house. This should really take pride of place and should be the centrepiece of your buffet.

CLASSIC BUFFET PARTY SALMON
Serves 10

You will need:
A fish kettle (Can be hired from some fishmongers or fishcounters of supermarkets)
2.5Kg Salmon (cleaned, but with head and skin left on)
Salt and black peppercorns
4 Bay leaves
1 Onion (sliced)
4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
200ml (approx) Mayonnaise

To garnish:
14 Cooked jumbo prawns (tails off, heads on)
1-2 Bunches of fresh dill
Lemon wedges (or slices)

1) Lift out the rack from the fish kettle and set aside. Half fill the kettle with cold water and add 2tbsp salt, 12 black peppercorns, the bay leaves, onion and vinegar.

2) Put the salmon onto the rack and lower into the kettle. Bring to a boil then simmer for one minute only. Remove from the heat, cover, and leave to stand for about 2hrs until the fish is just warm.

3) Lift the rack and the salmon out of the fish kettle. Strain the cooking liquid and reserve. Cover the salmon with a large piece of cling film and flip the fish over onto the cling film. Bone and skin the salmon (See instructions at end of the recipe). Cover and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

4) Mix the dill into the mayonnaise then taste for seasoning. Spoon into a serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.

5) Arrange the prawns in a line along the middle of the salmon so that the heads are facing in oppostie directions (this will hide the line where the backbone was). The number of prawns will depend on the length of your salmon so buy extra just in case (you can always use the extra around the edge of the plate as garnish).

6) Arrange dill sprigs around the edge of the salmon and on the plate, together with lemon slices or wedges. Serve with the dill mayonnaise.

BONING AND SKINNING A SALMON

1) Using a sharp knife, neatly remove the head from the salmon.
2) Run the knife along the backbone of the fish to loosen the top fillet.
3) Flip the top fillet over and remove the bones from the fish.
4) Use the cling film to flip the bottom fillet back onto the top and remove the skin and any dark flesh.
5) Use the cling film to flip the fish onto a large serving plate and remove the remaining skin.
6) With a small knife, gently scrape away the brownish flesh, leaving behind only the pink flesh.

I know this recipe may sound a bit complicated but it really isn't.
On top of that, if you ever have guests round, it really makes an impression and I guarantee they won't believe you did it (unless it goes totally ti*s up then they'll all point and laugh). The reactions make the effort wothwhile

Well i love salmon and he will eat what he is given or go to the Chinese take away. I may substitute the sauce for for hollandaise though. A friend of mine has a large fish kettle so no problem there. I will let you know how it goes.

Where does the name "Bane" come from?

I cant remember who Ian said the pheasant recipe was from but thank you very much, it was delicious.

Do you any thing for duck, we have a couple of them in the freezer. No duck aloronge please.(that is not spelt right)

Went out a bought a nice salmon this morning and i have 4 of my friends coming over for a party tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

*Rubs hands*

Your going to try the salmon buffet? Excellent! I have some duck recipes too. Do you need them for tonight though as I'm just about to step out the door?

Glad you enjoyed the recipes you've tried so far! That's what Tony, I and this thread are here for!

Her we go then "Mrs Doc"

Duck in Port and Cherry Sauce.

What you need
1 duck (about 5lbs weight) with giblets
1 large onion (quartered)
3 tablespoons of dripping (and the juices from cooking the duck)
2 tablespoons of plain flour
1 cup of giblet stock
1 small glass of port
1 can of stoned black cherries

What you do
Put the giblets into a saucepan, cover with cold water add seasoning and any herbs you have handy. Simmer for 1 hour.
Pre heat the oven to 180C.
Dry the duck,inside and out with some kitchen towel and put the quartered onion inside it. ----- the skin all over and sprinkle with some salt. Place on a grill in a shallow roasting tin, breast up, and roast for 35mins per pound.
For the sauce put the dripping and roasting juices into a saucepan heat gentley and sprinkle in the flour stirring it in. Heat for 1 minute. Strain the giblet stock and add in half a pint to make a smooth sauce. Cook gently for about three minutes stirring all the time or until the sauce thickens. When thickened add the port and the drained cherries.

Tony and Bane. Thank you sooooooooooo much. My friends and i thoroughly enjoyed the duck and salmon last night and i almost blew the printer up printing off copy's of your recipes for them. I did use a strong chicken stock for the duck and i made the mayonnaise dip as well as a Hollandaise sauce and they all preferred the mayo:eek:

Wish i had tried the profiter rolls as well.

Hey Bane, compliments about the recipes and no cases of food poisoning!!!!

Glad you enjoyed your meal "Mrs Doc".

Has "The Doc" recovered yet? It's still raining at Monza.

He phoned about a 3 hours ago a little worse for wear. He is staying 40 miles from the track and it is raining pretty hard but it is forested to brighten up later on. His ticket is in a covered area so he should be OK. They had just got to the track when he phoned and said it was jammed packed. His plane lands at 11.30 tonight so i expect him to be on here as soon as he gets back. He was on the phone late last night worried that he had offered to help someone with a question then went off but i suppose it can wait.

Hangover Cure - What the "Doctor" ordered!!!!

What you need

1 pint of cold milk
1 large banana
2 tablespoons of runny honey

Cut the banana into pieces and put it into a blender. Add the milk and honey and blitz for thirty seconds (Oh the noise!!).
Drink it down and relax for five minutes. You will then star to feel better.

If you can't face a pint of milk or the blender try dunking a couple of slices of bread in lucozade and eat that.

Glad to hear all went well Mrs-Doc.
The salmon wasn't too difficult to do was it?

I'll throw some more recipes up on Tuesday. Any requests for any particular starters,mains and/or desserts?

RABBIT WITH MUSTARD AND MARJORAM
Serves 4

You Will Need:

4Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tsp Fresh Marjoram (chopped)
4 Rabbit portions
1 oz Butter
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Lrg onion (chopped)
2 Garlic cloves (crushed)
3 oz Piece of smoked streaky bacon (cut into pieces)
1 Tsp plain flour
3/4 Pint chicken stock
Salt and black pepper
1/4 Pint single cream
2 Tbsp Chopped parsley (to garnish)

1) Mix the mustard and marjoram and spread over the rabbit pieces. Place in a shallow dish, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 8hrs.

2) Melt the butter with the oil in a large flameproof casserole. When the butter is foaming, add the rabbit and cook for about 5 mins until browned all over. Lift out and drain on paper towels.

3) Add the onion, garlic and bacon to the casserole and cook for 3-5mins. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1min. Graduallly blend in the stock and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened.

4) Return the rabbit to the casserole, season with salt and pepper and bring back to a boil. Cover and cook in a preheated oven at 160C for 1.5hrs or until the rabbit is tender.

5) Transfer the rabbit to a warmed platter and keep hot. Boil the sauce for 2mins until reduced. Stir in the cream, tatste for seasoning and spoon over the rabbit. Garnish with parsley.

Healthy Option: (No thanks!)
To decrease the amount of saturated fat, omit the bacon and use low fat creme fraiche instead of cream. Creme fraiche is runnier than cream so reduce the amount of chicken stock to 1/2 (half) pint to compensate.

Note to Mr and Mrs. Doctor:
If you say you don't like mustard I'll scream!

Hi Tony & Bane, and the rest of the community. this thread is great! As a recently single bloke a couple of these fine meals are sure to woooooo a few damsells - i hope.

As an englishman -born and bread, who has worked and played in Scotland and who is currently scratching a living in south wales the bestest hangover cure (after another whisky) has got to be IRN BRU on shreaded wheet.

Dont beleive me? Try it! If it dont cure you it will kill you.

Hi Tony & Bane, and the rest of the community. this thread is great! As a recently single bloke a couple of these fine meals are sure to woooooo a few damsells - i hope.

As an englishman -born and bread, who has worked and played in Scotland and who is currently scratching a living in south wales the bestest hangover cure (after another whisky) has got to be IRN BRU on shreaded wheet.

Dont beleive me? Try it! If it dont cure you it will kill you.

Thank you very much Dinosaur. Tony and I always appreciate hearing peoples views on this thread. Shows that there is people out there actually reading it other than Mr and Mrs-Doctor :)

Hope you will try some of our recipes and if you have any requests!

Please let us know!

At the mo anything that will get a woman into bed with me will do!! Its been sooooooooooooooooooooooooo long!

A baseball bat from behind has yet to fail!!!

Seriously, as Bane said, thanks for the comments. Will try to come up with a quick, easy and cheap meal, to impress with, for you.

What part of God's Country are you in?

Tony

Looks like I'm doing the pigeon then "Friend Bane"

Hiya, Im currently living next to Cardiff airport, little place called Rhoose. Close enough to Cardiff but far enough away from work - if you know what i mean!

Where are you?

I dont have a baseball bat will a cricket bat do instead?

Hiya, Im currently living next to Cardiff airport, little place called Rhoose. Close enough to Cardiff but far enough away from work - if you know what i mean!

Where are you?

I dont have a baseball bat will a cricket bat do instead?

Yes Mr Dinsoaur, it is far enough from work.....unfortunately you are NOT in the house, you are IN work, so 'boss man Shakey' says

"get off the ruddy computer":D

Remember, I am everywhere, you can run but you cant hide,

And I have read the threads

*Shakey runs off to tell the lads..... "***** isnt getting any!"....* :p

Cardiff International Airport. Last time I flew out of there it was just called Rhoose Airport - God I feel old.

Pigeon recipes being posted tonight Bane.

Since you 2 started this thread i have put on 4lb. Have just had the rabbit and it was delicious (the unhealthy version).

Need something healthy:D

Since you 2 started this thread i have put on 4lb. Have just had the rabbit and it was delicious (the unhealthy version).

Need something healthy:D

do like i do after me Thursday night kebab - just cancel it out with a diet coke

if i am feeling particularly healthy i met have two

(erm....diet cokes not kebabs)

(thats for Fridays:p)

Reply to >>>>> !!Bane and tony.towa's Cookbook Central!! <<<<< Daily in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock