Discuss bathroom light question/boiler earth bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

i mean that the pipes should be earthed internally to the earth terminal inside the boiler itself so no real need for bonding with tags and cable

the light fittings may come down to a matter of opinion over what is "suitable" as i did not measure the height of the lowest point of the pendant from the ground
You need to understand why we require to protective bond pipework, extraneous parts etc, then you will understand why it’s usually unnecessary at the boiler especially in the case you’ve described.

You need to understand why we require to protective bond pipework, extraneous parts etc, then you will understand why it’s usually unnecessary at the boiler especially in the case you’ve described.
ive always thought that , but as an apprentice i was told to bond them anyway, i think my boss at the time was just learning 17th edition regs himself as he came from a maintenance background and had just started up on his own doing domestic, he was good though, maybe a bit overly cautious when it came to earthing.

im up to speed on most things, just now im doing the paperwork side of eicrs im finding new things i need to learn that i missed at college/wasnt taught in the first place lol.

got my FICA in january and been offered a lead electrician position at my work so will need to brush up on the regs im unclear on pretty sharpish

battens, snub = short
Previous Regulations allowed batten holders providing they had an HO (Home Office) shield fitted which helped prevent condensation dripping on the lamp. Light fittings must not only be suitable for the zone but also for it's location if not installed in the prescribed zones. Only you can decide that.

Previous Regulations allowed batten holders providing they had an HO (Home Office) shield fitted which helped prevent condensation dripping on the lamp. Light fittings must not only be suitable for the zone but also for it's location if not installed in the prescribed zones. Only you can decide that.
another mistake i made was thinking the zones extended all the way to the roof, not only to 2.25m

another mistake i made was thinking the zones extended all the way to the roof, not only to 2.25m
That may be the case but the fittings still need to be suitable for the location and environment. Moisture and splashes don't care about the zones and will go anywhere is damn well pleases...

I have four young kids and regularly have water dripping off the bathroom ceiling which is above 2.25m.

i mean that the pipes should be earthed internally to the earth terminal inside the boiler itself so no real need for bonding with tags and cable

the light fittings may come down to a matter of opinion over what is "suitable" as i did not measure the height of the lowest point of the pendant from the ground

They do normally with a metal clamp to secure all incoming pipework.

I thought it was called Home Office Skirt, suppose that's sexist nowadays :)

With respect, elsparko.
You (and your boss) should get properly acquainted with the current issue of BS7671 before you make any further attempts at inspections, testing and coding what appear to be perfectly acceptable installations.

With respect, elsparko.
You (and your boss) should get properly acquainted with the current issue of BS7671 before you make any further attempts at inspections, testing and coding what appear to be perfectly acceptable installations.
they arent "perfectly" acceptable , maybe just by the skin of their noses, non enclosed fittings are an accident waiting to happen in a bathroom.

if you would be happy signing off cheap metal fittings in a bathroom as acceptable for use then be my guest, but i wont put my name to it.

With respect, elsparko.
the boss i have now is up to speed with the 17th edition, my last boss was learning alongside me and giving bad advice at times, the boss isnt always right, but they are always the boss.

What you install may well exceed the requirements, we all do that.
My point is that you cannot code something as Cx just because that’s your feeling about it.
It must actually contravene a regulation.

See this is one of the reasons I don't do EICR, too much interpretation of how ---- something is.

I know lets have a National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting or even a National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers. Then you'd all be singing from the same hymn sheet :)

Reply to bathroom light question/boiler earth bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net