Discuss Beginning of a journey in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan Carroll

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm not currently an electrician, nor have I completed any training as of yet. But I have decided after 15 years as a mechanical helicopter engineer, to become an electrician.
Expect plenty of questions. I'm not 100% sure yet on the route I am going to take to get there, but I have a rough idea.
Thanks
Dan

Current plan is to hopefully get some free experience from now until I can sort out paid work in the trade,
Take some courses, 18th, inspection testing, and PAT in the new year. (only choosing those as I have military funding and that seems to be the best use of the money)
Hopefully be working as a paid mate from spring/summer next year and can leave my current job.
After a couple of years experience, go it alone as a domestic.
Complete a level 3 to go commercial.

This may sound like utter crap and if it is please advice because its easy to find people that want to take my money for courses, but difficult to find whats best for me

IMO I think you should enrol with you local collage and go from their .it a had slog but you will get their in the end ,has for a couple of 3 years you are dreaming . you will need to approach a company willing to take you on it dog eat dog world .

you say military funding so assume you are shortly to be ex -forces?
how much are you eligible for in funding from the mod in discharge learning credits? When i left i got pretty much any thing sensible that i requested funded as I was medically discharged. you may find they will fund your 2365 level 2 and 3 either on a part time basis or on one of the faster courses. if you cna do it part time and work as a sparks mate you are half way there.
Good tip though, is any company you apply to is emphasise your military experience and pop in to bristol to the poppy shop run by the royal british legion and contact ssafa in bristol. both are very good at contacting firms to get your foot in the door- ssafa always seem to know somebody in the right place. good chance if you approach some of the big firms doing work on hinkley point power station down the m5 from you, you will get a lot of interest as you will sail through the security checks being ex-military.

Thanks guys.
Buzz I'm tempted to do a collage course but I still want out of the industry I'm in. I spoke to a instructor from a collage who's opinion was basically, do the route mentioned then start the NVQ when in the industry.
Casper. Who's going to employ a guy with zero experience and pay them. I'd rather offer my service for free at first until I can find actual employment. It will also give me a chance to be 100% that this is what I want to do. Plus to date I've offered my services to 10 electricians for free and so far no replies. So don't think charging them will help me.
Gavin. With the enhance learning credits you get 3 lots of 2k to spend. The company has to be registered with ELCAS and you have to pay 20%. I've used 1 lot up last year on aircraft. My local is Clarkson Evans and they don't seem to have a level 3 and 2. My best use of money for this shot seems to be what i mentioned above.
Thanks for the info with regard Bristol. It's a little to far to travel at the moment. I live at junc 9 of the m5 so want to keep it around the Cheltenham Gloucester Worcester area.

Thanks guys

If you ever want to work in the commercial side of things or big new build sites you will need your level 2 level 3 then your NVQ. Nothing will stop you working as a mate but to progress you will need the above quals if that's the route you want to take.

I started with no qualifications and no experience. Phoned an agency and got on as a mate. Now I’m a qualified electrician. So there is literally hundreds of people who will pay you. You don’t have to be employed as in be on the books.

a validpoint. ^^^^^.if you can get on as a mate with agency at around £10 -£12 /hour, . blagg it, then pack in current job.

I blagged it but then looking back I should of just said I didn’t know anything. Agency’s don’t care as long as they get there cut. Earn and learn. Lots of people will help you with it all

I’ve seen some mates rates recently as much as £15 an hour in Derbyshire
that's a decent rate. some ads for fully qualified sparks offer less. had one this morning. JIB gold card required. £14/hour.. F*CK OFF.

If you apply for the 24+ learning loan, my understanding is it would cover the level 3 2365 and you only pay it back at silly pounds per week when earning around 20k per year. could be worth looking at.

Casper I fully appreciate about not working for free and just getting on with it, but another day passes and still no contact with the offer of free labour. I am however going to sign to an agency.
Gavin cheers for that. I'll look it up.

I am now given some serious thought to doing a course scope course at Aldershot that gets me
  • Full Scope “Certificate of Competence”
  • C&G 2393 Building Regulations Level 3
  • C&G 2382 17th Edition Wiring Regulations Level 3
  • JIB ECS Health & Safety Certificate
Any thoughts on this?

Casper I fully appreciate about not working for free and just getting on with it, but another day passes and still no contact with the offer of free labour. I am however going to sign to an agency.
Gavin cheers for that. I'll look it up.

I am now given some serious thought to doing a course scope course at Aldershot that gets me
  • Full Scope “Certificate of Competence”
  • C&G 2393 Building Regulations Level 3
  • C&G 2382 17th Edition Wiring Regulations Level 3
  • JIB ECS Health & Safety Certificate
Any thoughts on this?
that may just allowyou to join one of the scams and be stuck with self-employed house bashing for the restof your working life. the courses you need are c&g 2356 level 2 then level3, followed by nvq3 and am2. along the way, you will do 2382 and probably 2391.then you can call yourself an electrician.

Reply to Beginning of a journey in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net