Discuss Bit of puzzler 3way.... any ideas please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Recently swapped over few faceplates. Some of them being a 3way lighting circuit.

Customer mentioned today have slight issue, looks like I've got a wire the wrong way round !

• when intermediate switch is in position 1, they 2x other switches don't activate the light.
  • when intermediate switch is in position 2, all works fine.

The ways it's been wired must back to a JB somewhere (which assuming will have live/ s-live in there also) which I'm trying to avoid having to hunt down if poss.

All I have at switches:

• switch 1 : 3c TE
  • switch inter : 2 x TE
  • switch 2 : 3c TE

Odd one one really, sure its something really simple.
Have had it before where strappers at inter are wrong way round and you cant get lights to turn off.

Any ideas please, what I am not seeing ?

Even just had a go trying re-create the fault on my garage rig with no luck.....

Cheers Sy (hot and bothered today ?)
;);)

Did you witness it working before you started?

Try swopping A and B on this drawing and see what happens

View attachment 58584

Drawing nicked from Light wiring diagram - http://www.lightwiring.co.uk and modified
Should taken photo of inter before swapping over.... but so basic what could possibly go wrong !!

Didn't prove functioning fully before swapped but not the sort of customer on this one that would be trying it on (they're sound)

Have just tried swapping A and B and on my rig and all I can get is light staying on ?Cant be that many combinations that can be done at and inter switch with x4 cores surely ?

If both 'on' and both 'off' permutations of the 2-ways work correctly with the intermediate in position 2, we know that
  • Both strappers must have continuity all the way through
  • There can't be any shorts
  • Both the 2-way switches must be working correctly
Therefore the problem must be at the intermediate. I reckon Snowhead has the answer; intermediate in position 2, L1 & L2 straight through as normal, all works. Switch it over and nothing is connected through. The other possibility would be a faulty intermediate switch that is not making contact to one terminal in one position, e.g. in position 1 either L1 or L2 has no continuity.

If the wiring looks correct, you could remove the switch and test it for continuity L1-L1 and L2-L2 in one position, and L1-L2 and L2-L1 in the other.

Have just tried swapping A and B and on my rig and all I can get is light staying on

Snowhead's diagram shows 'conventional' 2-way, with PL and SL to the two switch commons. If you swap 'A' and 'B' the light won't stay on, it will behave exactly like the customer's light, because with the intermediate in the crossover position, L1 and L2 will be broken and looped back to the switch they came from.

If your rig is wired as 'conversion' 2-way with PL and SL to L1 and L2 at one switch, then putting the intermediate in the crossover position will cause the light to get stuck on, because when L1 loops back to L2 at the end that has the switch drop, it will bridge PL and SL bypassing the 2-way switching completely.

I.e the results of 'A' and 'B' being swapped will depend on whether the 2-ways are wired 'conventional' or 'conversion' style and Snowhead's drawing shows a likely valid explanation for your symptoms with 'conventional' wiring.

edited for clarity

Last edited:
Not the sort of problem you want at the end of the day.

When you go back you'll be far more clear headed and I expect you'll sort it out within the hour. I tend to draw everything out, gaining the information bit by bit through continuity testing and detective work. It doesn't help when hidden junction boxes have been used which join different coloured conductors, otherwise it's usually straight forward (as long as it's not the end of the day when your brain struggles more to solve problems).

The funny thing is that I don't think it can be a loose connection as such. If the 2-ways work 100% with the intermediate in one position, then every connection and cable must have continuity. Granted there could be less-than-perfect connections, but at the moment they are making contact and are not responsible for the described fault.

I can't even see how there could have been a wiring error all along that had prevented it ever working correctly. If the wrong cores of the 3C+E had been routed to the intermediate, the fault could not occur exactly as described. Operating the intermediate is definitely breaking both strappers if it goes from fully working 2-ways in one position to no light at all in the other. Therefore both strappers must enter and leave the intermediate and there are only four conductors present so it must be them.

Not the sort of problem you want at the end of the day.

I think it is exactly the sort of problem you want at the end of the day, because it can be understood and solved by logic and a few simple continuity tests. The kind of problem you do not want is one that involves ripping apart something you spent the whole day putting in (and thought you had finished) because the material seems to be defective and won't pass tests. That is soul-destroying.

Can't you just disconnect the 3 switches and check for continuity between the conductors at the 2 2-way switches? The one that is present at both goes into the common terminal... The others will be the strappers, disconnected at the intermediate.

It's a good suggestion for double-checking for miswiring and makes perfect sense if it is wired as 'conversion' 2-way, but I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct from the symptoms of the fault. If you look at the possibilities; crossed connections, disconnects and shorts, individually or in combination, I don't think you can produce the symptom exactly as described, other than by a faulty intermediate switch, or the A/B mistake shown by Snowhead (although if the switch is faulty, there could also be a wiring fault that it is concealing, but the combination is unlikely.)

If it is wired as 'conventional', then naturally there won't be continuity between the commons as they are PL and SL.

Last edited:
What snowhead posted would be uncommon in T&E.
T&E would be 3 core throughout with the live strapper bridged at the intermediate.

If you did it as the image above you would end up with a single core running back to/from the light at some point etc.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.... really appreciate all your help and hopefully me not going bonkers !! ?

I'm going along the lines of dodgy switch, best I take a spare one along along (Hamilton hartland grid it.)

Not back until next week so will report back then ✅

I've attached a schematic of what I've got..... conversion method which all must end up a JB somewhere.

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 06.18.03.png

I had an odd one a while ago and don't remember what make where the intermediate switch was configured side to side not top to bottom threw me a bit at the time and needed a check with the multimeter to verify how it was working
The other possibility is if your intermediate is actually a double pole switch that has found the wrong packaging

Two other good possibilities there that I had not called out specifically, falling into my 'faulty switch' and 'faulty switch conceals wiring errors' categories. A DP switch would give the reported symptom with either 'conventional' or 'conversion' wiring. A side-to-side terminal layout would give it with 'conventional' only; on 'conversion' wiring the light would be permanently on in the 'straight through' position.

Thanks Guys.... really appreciate all your help and hopefully me not going bonkers !! ?

I'm going along the lines of dodgy switch, best I take a spare one along along (Hamilton hartland grid it.)

Not back until next week so will report back then ✅

I've attached a schematic of what I've got..... conversion method which all must end up a JB somewhere.

View attachment 58597
Lets hope it is a faulty switch, with that wiring setup its hunt the JB good luck.
IMO, 2way or intermediate through a JB is bad practice, all connections should be at switch points.
Have you tested all commons/ strappers for continuity.?

Lets hope it is a faulty switch, with that wiring setup its hunt the JB good luck.
IMO, 2way or intermediate through a JB is bad practice, all connections should be at switch points.
Have you tested all commons/ strappers for continuity.?

It wasn’t bad practice back in the 70’S or 80’s It’s only now we’ve realised fitted carpets and laminate flooring causes the problems of locating them.
Just next to the hatch in the attic, or on the landing, near the top of the stairs. The floorboards are possibly cut as access to the jb. And if the boards have ever been up in the past, they’ll squeak or sound loose when walked on.

Replace the jb with an mf equivalent, and happy days

Reply to Bit of puzzler 3way.... any ideas please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net