Discuss Cable size Aluminium cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all, recently been asked to look some incoming power supplies for some future works , and I’m trying to determine the size of these incoming aluminium cables as it’s not something I work / see on a regular basis. Would anyone be able to give me some inside to what they believe the incoming cable size could be? My belief is that is looks to be 35mm, as I feel 25mm is too small and 50mm to large , I know that old aluminium cable sizes can be misleading due to the sheathing so any advise would help , please see pics attached

Attachments

• Cable size Aluminium cable 67091695-497F-4CA5-8EB8-864B4AEA788F - EletriciansForums.net
    67091695-497F-4CA5-8EB8-864B4AEA788F.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • Cable size Aluminium cable 59A2BC14-3158-47D6-8196-F9840675DD0C - EletriciansForums.net
    59A2BC14-3158-47D6-8196-F9840675DD0C.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Cable size Aluminium cable 2BCCC48A-0AA6-4AB1-AC56-747A59B17134 - EletriciansForums.net
    2BCCC48A-0AA6-4AB1-AC56-747A59B17134.png
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • Cable size Aluminium cable D9E83992-D146-4358-A562-5BB197C895AA - EletriciansForums.net
    D9E83992-D146-4358-A562-5BB197C895AA.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
Are you certain they are aluminium and not tinned copper, red white and blue identification could easily make them tinned copper.

It is as said difficult to say unless you are there. Considering it is almost certainly imperial if you think 35.0 then it could be 19/.064 which puts it at 38.70 in metric terms.
It would be unusual construction if it were aluminium as I would expect less and thicker strands.

That would make sense , I believe with the sizing on site looking larger than 35mm yet less than 50mm, do you know of any guides in terms of current carrying capacities of this cable vs what we use now?

This table gives single phase ratings but you may have to take it with a pinch of salt.
Thankyou for this , it shows no cable equivalent size for 50mm metric? Was there not a cable made between these sizes at the time? Which would make sense as the next size up at 64mm would be definitely too large for what I’m seeing on site.

Not really sure maybe at the time it wasn't a required size for the circuit protection of the time. I notice on the imperial table the strand size which maybe .064 in your case isn't unique to that cable size it is used elsewhere, this doesn't happen with metric conductors they are unique to each size but just guessing.

Not really sure maybe at the time it wasn't a required size for the circuit protection of the time. I notice on the imperial table the strand size which maybe .064 in your case isn't unique to that cable size it is used elsewhere, this doesn't happen with metric conductors they are unique to each size but just guessing.
I guess the only was to check for sure is with callipers!

If you have pieces of 35.0 and 50.0 and it appears to be inbetween then assume it is 19/.064. You need to confirm it is tinned copper though.

Looking at the tight bend radius on some of those wires I also doubt it's aluminium, also they usually use anti-corrosion paste on the terminations and in the lugs or ferrules which is usually either visible or you see the dust and crap sticking to it.

Agree this looks like 19/.064 tinned copper. Next up was 19/.072 but that was less often used IME. Next up from that is 19/.083 which is 0.1 sq. ins, and it really doesn't look that big although it can be hard to judge from a 2D picture.

I'm thinking if it was aluminium it would be more likely to be a single solid conductor

They are normally solid in AWA or SWA but are sectoral and not round. Can't say I have seen aluminium singles in that size but to me being circular strands hints at tinned copper. Worked with 300.0 aluminium singles a few moons back and they were sectoral stranded.

Last edited:

Reply to Cable size Aluminium cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock