Discuss Can I still work as an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

you seem to just be focusing on NAPIT, there are a few others you could register with, i think because your doing their course youve got tunnel vision, there is the NICEIC, Elecsa and maybe a couple of smaller firms. I personally dont think everything will be in place for them to close the doors by April. The LA are very expensive thats why most people are pointed in the direction of a scheme.

Yes your right i contacted NICEIC today and they confirmed that if I register now before the change date the changes will not effect me and I will be able to pay in instlements which has eleviated my fears some what.

Also NICEIC have also suggested as much that the change will not happen until next year in full because that going to leave alot of contractors out in the cold so they although they cant confirm they have said the extra year will give sparkys a chance to get on necessary courses (more money)! and they still cant be sure because if this is athe case courses will be swamped.......

Guess we will have to wait and see

Cheers all

because that going to leave alot of contractors out in the cold

Not contractors, but under trained, inexperienced so-called DI's, which are their bread and butter!! And who should really, never have been registered as competent in the first place!!

Not contractors, but under trained, inexperienced so-called DI's, which are their bread and butter!! And who should really, never have been registered as competent in the first place!!

Cheers thats a big help!! ive been involved with electrics in one form or another for over 2 decades mainly 3 phase does that make me inexperienced? not being funny but the testing of installations isnt exactly rocket science is it???

Newbie,

i'm leaving the Royal Navy in a month and have/had work lined up working with a friend as an electrician.

The worry I have now is that I feel I may have been lead a merry dance after speaking to NAPIT today geres where i am and hopefully someone out there can spare me the time and put me straight, i'll try and keep it down to a minimum.

1. Im almost finished my electrical installations full scope incorporating Part P the exam for the 2394 takes place April 17TH, 17TH Passed ECS Passed and CITB competance passed doing the assessments of installations next week thats the testing of installations
2. 2395 course 3 weeks time with the exam on the 16th A;pril

My problem is that can i still once passed verify my own work and also test other peoples work once i have these qualifications as i'm now aware that as of 1st April all this goes into one bundle and you will need NVQ3 to do any work at all with out having to bring a building authority in every time i do a job. Confused as hell here cause i was lead to believe get the quals join NAPIT or the like and off you go...now I may have wasted alot of money and time trying to set myself up for work and may have to seriously rethink my plans

I was hoping to be able to be up and running with my boss/wage payer being able to let me crack on notify NAPIT when needed without the added expense of having to bring a building reg inspector in

All help appriciated sorry if it is a bit confused and terminoligy is a bit off.

Cheers Rich

This is the BIG unknown quantity from 1st April (how apt) as not one of the schemes, to my knowledge, has yet to decide how this is to work??

Glad to see youve got a little light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes is best not to listen to chinese whispers and go straight to the horses mouth lol

just finished exams now taking on the world good luck ps charge alot because some poeple took years to get there

dont take a fence cause its made of wood just need to let of steam good luck

Newbie,

i'm leaving the Royal Navy in a month and have/had work lined up working with a friend as an electrician.

The worry I have now is that I feel I may have been lead a merry dance after speaking to NAPIT today geres where i am and hopefully someone out there can spare me the time and put me straight, i'll try and keep it down to a minimum.

1. Im almost finished my electrical installations full scope incorporating Part P the exam for the 2394 takes place April 17TH, 17TH Passed ECS Passed and CITB competance passed doing the assessments of installations next week thats the testing of installations
2. 2395 course 3 weeks time with the exam on the 16th A;pril

My problem is that can i still once passed verify my own work and also test other peoples work once i have these qualifications as i'm now aware that as of 1st April all this goes into one bundle and you will need NVQ3 to do any work at all with out having to bring a building authority in every time i do a job. Confused as hell here cause i was lead to believe get the quals join NAPIT or the like and off you go...now I may have wasted alot of money and time trying to set myself up for work and may have to seriously rethink my plans

I was hoping to be able to be up and running with my boss/wage payer being able to let me crack on notify NAPIT when needed without the added expense of having to bring a building reg inspector in

All help appriciated sorry if it is a bit confused and terminoligy is a bit off.

Cheers Rich

Another victim of the RN .....

21 years im on the new pension so the extra year doesnt add up to much mate T42 rating last ship was T23 though. Yeah im just a bit fed up as I had it all planned i was hoping to work with my mate wworking for this developer, he is a sparky but an all round builder but he hasnt kept his sparkys ticklets up so I was hoping to do all the certification and notification with out the LA coming in and holding me at ransom for my hard earned cash. Didnt realise I had to belong to a body of what ever????

I have a connection with 51 years service and they shaft you even when you get to that stage.....institutionalised and brainwashed, sitting behind a desk now joined at 15, now 66 and they still won't let him go...and he loves them which is sad....

Reply to Can I still work as an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net