Discuss Circuit numbering confusion? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can only comment on the recent DB‘s I’ve seen in my place of work, Eaton I think, all pre labelled. Not having done any commercial/industrial work in over 40 years, hence my question mark.

On your second point, I was only picking up on, tongue in cheek, about what somebody else pointed out. Perhaps you should raise it with them?

I'm pretty certain another manufacturer does number circuits top to bottom, but couldn't be certain and google images weren't much help.

My later comment wasn't solely aimed at you, so I apologise if it seemed that way.

He's also confusing himself by saying 'reading top to bottom then left to right' suggests you read down first and then across.
He should be saying you read across first and then down.......not that I agree with him, at all.

Ironically, his insistence on how single phase boards should be numbered, i.e. not based on position of main switch, contradicts his system for TPN in that the single phase won't keep the same position in a bigger board if you number from the other side.

Good point. I'd primarily been taken with his thoughts on numbering of 3ph boards, but hadn't noticed this contradiction.

I've watched a number of his videos over the last year and he likes to (loudly) make points that he considers to be an improvement on convention. This video raised a point in which I could see merit and made me wonder if, perhaps, different conventions existed.

He's also confusing himself by saying 'reading top to bottom then left to right' suggests you read down first and then across.
He should be saying you read across first and then down.......not that I agree with him, at all.

A few parts were poorly worded, but he got the gist of his point across. Too much haste in hammering home the point, without enough consideration given to its delivery.

Square D used to be down the left and then down the right. (16 way)

IMG_0484.JPG

Whereas, with Schneider, now at least, you make your own mind up.

IMG_3509.jpg

Last edited:
It isn't natural for humans to read left to right, top to bottom, that is only some cultures. Other cultures around the world read in columns or from right to left.

I normally number from top to bottom on the left column then top to bottom on the right column as per his 'wrong' method.

However I have one customer where all the DBs are numbered according to his 'right' method. I've found this to be confusing on occasion as I'm so used to the more normal method. But when adding an extra DB I kept with the same numbering convention because I don't think it sensible to have DBs labelled by different methods on the same site.

I've tried to add pictures but it's just refusing to let me 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Pictures seem to have a new 3MB limit to upload now, unless there’s a new problem??

Cropping the image down can get it under, or use an image conversion software to reduce the size/ quality.

Reply to Circuit numbering confusion? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net