Discuss cordless or mains chiselling drill? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

simonatlondon

Hi guys,

I need some advice from you more experienced mob.

Im going to get myself a new chiselling drill.

I've used a dewalt mains before and it seemed brilliant. If it was cordless it would take so much time and hassle off your hands on site of dragging extension leads all over the place.

The sparky im working with said not to bother with a cordless chiselling drill because the chiseling action would take so much out of the drill through wear and tear. And spending 500 hundred odd quid on either dewalt or bosch 36v just wouldn't be worth it.

So what I would like to know is, is it true what he tells me or is the fact that technology has come on so much that what i just explained, isn't much of a factor?

I would love to hear from you guys before I shell some more cash on anything.

Thanks.

depends what your looking to do with it, most people have a crap drill that last long for chasaing. Then like the Bosch 36v cordless drill for little chases and drilling. Me personally id go for the bosch. Or even spend £100 on a cheap dewalt chisel drill from screwfix

I have a dewalt rotary drill with chisel action and also a Bosch multi drill which has a chisel action. The Bosch is awesome and yes, as it is 110v can be a nuisance but it has soooo much power I would never use a cordless drill for chasing unless it was a tiny section. Stick with the big boy 110v kit IMO.

whats the problem with 110v? Is really being phased out?

sure is

the tool manufacturers are only producing 110 for the uk market, and will stop doing so shortly (so i am told)

the requirement for 110 to be used on construction sites in the 16th edition has been removed from the 17th -

230v on an rcd is used now

of course it doesnt mean we cant use 110v, - just means you dont HAVE to, and in a few years you wont be able to get them anyway!;)

some kit have 'jumper' links which can be changed to change the voltage

and theoretically, the windings on a 110V tool would be heavier, becuase the current draw id larger for the same power rating so should be able to handle the 230V easily (i volunteer you to try it out with your tools):eek:

but the question is: why would you want to - they are not saying you CANT use 110, just that you dont HAVE to use 110

or is because of that big heavy tranny you have to lug about......:p

According to the niceic they want to keep 110v on larger sites, thats what they told us at the 17th edition seminar they held in feb, I personally think its a good thing to have a lower voltage on sites, they only changed it in the regs due to the foriegn workers when they bring tools from their country they can use them here,( ie the germans).Its all to do with the european union which is why we changed to the new colours in the first place

Institution of Occupational Safety and Health |Discussion Forums

Heres a link which should provoke a discussion about the pros and cons of 240v on construction sites ,i personally think theres no advantage in going there,things have worked well enough for years ,if it aint broke dont fix it ,the hse say no one has got killed on site by 110v ,why risk allowing 240v,which as the discussion in the above link shows ,there is a risk
atvbitwww

Last edited by a moderator:
Institution of Occupational Safety and Health |Discussion Forums

Heres a link which should provoke a discussion about the pros and cons of 240v on construction sites ,i personally think theres no advantage in going there,things have worked well enough for years ,if it aint broke dont fix it ,the hse say no one has got killed on site by 110v ,why risk allowing 240v,which as the discussion in the above link shows ,there is a risk
atvbitwww

Yes Rum, but you could also look at all the countries ruuning on 240V, are there considerable deaths on site?

anyway, its the same thing, because:

110V CTE, fault voltage to earth = 55V

230V on an RCD: maximum fault voltage to earth (at a Zs of 1667 ohms) = 50V (before the RCD disconnects), and at lower Zs values, fault voltage to earth will be much lower

so there! its safe! crack on then lads!:D

What happens when there is a lack of power on the site? the only cordless you've got then is the old faithful hammer and chisel. Maybe only the oldens will remember how to use them eh! Bit like the old Rawplug tool (showing me age a bit there) ha ha!

Can you still buy Rawltools. They might be old but you never need power the recharge them and can easy fit in you tool box.

Can you still buy Rawltools. They might be old but you never need power the recharge them and can easy fit in you tool box.

Whats a Rawltool? I dont have to work on powerless sites often but the que to get an outlet on temp boards can be apain also when a wave hits the temp board (no I'm not kidding it came over the sea wall into the garge of the property and tok out 3 builders a pallet of plaster mix and the CU and temp supply.............) Cordless are OK but for chasing solid walls? (i dont mean brick as solid! but rendered walls and concrete block, engineering bricks)

Reply to cordless or mains chiselling drill? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock