Discuss DIY Advice - Bathroom lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have 3 LED lights in my bathroom ceiling, and when the cord is pulled these flicker and stay off, or occasionally turn on normally (10% of the time).

Having spoken to an electrician I know, I replaced the lamps, however this hasn't helped.

Each lamp is attached to it's own transformer - see photos - possibly these are the issue. They seem to be Knightsbridge 12V 20-60W.

Is the problem likely to be one or all of the transformers?
Any ideas how to open/disconnect? It's not like the transformer on the DIY videos I've seen on Youtube!

Many thanks in advance- any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• DIY Advice - Bathroom lights 20191022_183143 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191022_183143.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DIY Advice - Bathroom lights 20191022_183209 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191022_183209.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DIY Advice - Bathroom lights 20191022_215550 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191022_215550.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DIY Advice - Bathroom lights 20191022_215556 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191022_215556.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DIY Advice - Bathroom lights 20191022_220159 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191022_220159.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 33
Sounds more like a lose connection if they are all affected. Could be at the pull switch, prior to the first light or somewhere else not associated with the bathroom. Those connections are not suitably encnclosed and pose a possible fire risk. Have you always had leds in them as those are not led drivers.

Thanks Andy - I did notice that, however I have read online such as Amazon selling these transformers that they are compatible with LEDs. Also the lamps did work previously (a month or so a go), and I'm fairly sure these were LED too, and worked for 18 months I have owned the house.

Last edited:
I would personally consider getting someone in to connect those lights in a compliant manner in fact they may well be causing the issue.
[automerge]1574088757[/automerge]
Make sure it is dead but can you pull any others down along with the wiring in the cavity.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy - I did notice that, however I have read online such as Amazon selling these transformers that they are compatible with LEDs. Also the lamps did work previously (a month or so a go), and I'm fairly sure these were LED too, and worked for 18 months I have owned the house.
They are NOT transformers, they are switch mode supplies.
They are NOT compatible with LEDs, they are for halogen lights.
They have a minimum load of 20W, a single LED is less than this.
They are NOT necessary, just replace your lamps and holders with 240v LED types and get rid of the switch mode supplies.

They are NOT necessary, just replace your lamps and holders with 240v LED types and get rid of the switch mode supplies.

The text on the pictures says itself that it is a transformer? Do you know why they might have been installed originally?

It has already been stated these are not led drivers. Arguing whether they are transformers is pointless because they are electronic transformers, they are transforming one voltage to another. We can see they are stated for tungsten lamp use, again this has also been mentioned. There is actually no reason in many cases for an led lamp not to function with the existing power supplies.

Last edited:
as an experiment, last week, i connected a 12V LED MR16 ( ac/dc) to one of these. it pulsated continuously.

The pictures are wrong, the manufacturer does not know what he is selling.

They were almost originally installed for halogen lights.
You are side tracking this thread. They are clearly marked as electronic transformers and how they transform is neither here nor there. Yes we know they are intended for halogen lights WE KNOW THIS. They almost certainly had halogen in originally and unless I am misreading this they have functioned with led lamps.

Reply to DIY Advice - Bathroom lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock