Discuss DRL's on a switch/relay in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

the phoenix

Hi, my 1st post which I hope makes sense.

Will this wiring diagram work, any info greatly appreciated.

If I put a + feed from sidelight to pin 85. Will it then turn DRL off, when sidelight is turned on?

Any help is appreciated.

Without the internal connections of the Bosch relay this has no meaning!

TBH this diagram doesn't make sense you have a battery supply direct but only 1 wire to the fuse ...so assume that a permanent supply to the relay and a fused supply via the switch to the coil, so 86 and 85 are your coil and 30 + 85 are you switch N/O contacts.

Ignore my ignorance, what is DRL then I can guess you answer.

Last edited:
I know what you are saying Darkwood, but in his defence all automotive relays follow a standard number scheme and an auto electrician will know exactly what each of those terminals does from the numbers.
Basic auto relays come in two types, 4 pin and 5 pin

85 + 86 are coil
30 is common
87 is N/O
87A is N/C (missing from 4 pin relays)

Either way whatever you do to that relay in the diagram it won't affect the DRL as there is no connection to any DRL! It is shown controlling driving lamps or fog lights.
Connecting the +ve from the sidelights to pin 85 of that relay will bring the driving or fog lamps on whenever the sidelights are on, this will contravene vehicle lighting regulations and make the care illegal for use on the public roads.

Also the circuit shown is no good for driving lamps as they need to be linked to the main beams such that they can only come on when main beam is on, they must not be able to be switched on whilst only dipped beam or sidelights are on.
You would normally take the feed for the control cct from the main beam switched feed (blue with white stripe in old british colours) not direct from the battery or ignition feeds

(DRL is daytime running lights)

Last edited:
Cheers Dave ... I worked it out and edited before you posted but im a tad drunk so slow off the mark ...what is DRL?

Sorry, edited my post a bit also.

DRL is daytime running lamps, another load of nonsense forced onto us by our european masters.
They are the white lights on the front of new cars which are on when no other lights are on and the engine is running, a lot tend to be some kind of LED lamp. I'm not certain if they go off when sidelights are switched on or not though, my involvement in vehicle wiring is limited to my trusty landrover which pre-dates all that nonsense.

Hi, my 1st post which I hope makes sense.

If I put a + feed from sidelight to pin 85. Will it then turn DRL off, when sidelight is turned on?
If the item labelled fog / driving lights is your DRL then it would need to be connected to 87a not 87 and then when the sidelights switch (assuming that is switch SPST) is turned on then the relay would operate and hold the fog /driving lights off.

it's a stupid idea. as an ex-biker, once when you saw headlights on in daylight, you knew it was a motorbike and were more aware. now every numpty drives around in sunshine with headlighs on.

it's a stupid idea. as an ex-biker, once when you saw headlights on in daylight, you knew it was a motorbike and were more aware. now every numpty drives around in sunshine with headlighs on.

I never asked the question is it a stupid idea or not, I simply wanted to know if the diagram would work. Obviously from some of the more decent replies it might not work.

Ex-bike driver that means you saw the light and stopped and now drive cars then!! Thanks for insinuating that "I'm a numpty" too.

We see adverts saying watch out for motorbikes when in fact they should look out for themselves the way some of them drive.

I searched this forum for a while before I asked the question and noticed a few members received a good few sarcastic comments when asking a simple question as they thought and heard it was a friendly forum.

After this thread I can see where the folks are coming from.

Friendly it definitely is NOT!

it certainly is a friendly forum. if you look at a few threads, you'll find a mixture of good advice, some humour and also sarcasm. a bit like real life, really. and i did not mean to insinuate that you personally were a numpty.

I think your drawing has caused confusion as it's a standard fog/driving light one probably found on the web?, just need to replace fog/driving with DRL?.

To make the DRL's switch off when sidelights switched on you need another relay (same as shown)

Cut red wire between fusebox and on/off switch and connect as follows

30 - feed from fusebox (cut red)
87A - feed to switch (cut red)
85 - feed from sidelight circuit
86 - ground

Last edited:
I think your drawing has caused confusion as it's a standard fog/driving light one probably found on the web?, just need to replace fog/driving with DRL?.

To make the DRL's switch off when sidelights switched on you need another relay (same as shown)

Cut red wire between fusebox and on/off switch and connect as follows

30 - feed from fusebox (cut red)
87 - feed to switch (cut red)
85 - feed from sidelight circuit
86 - ground

Thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated and yes the diagram was taken from the web, sorry for ant confusion.

Also,your warning or indicator lamp wants to be connected to Pin 87,as it should be an indication of power supplied to end function and not any earlier. For instance,the relay could fail (not uncommon) and you would still have the warning lamp illuminated. And as for the friendliness issue,once you have got over the pedantry and virtual gazumpmanship.....most are helpful...it's just like any new arrival...many years ago,on my first day at Scott Greenham Cranes,the first driver i spoke to said "Alright son,got any dirty pictures of yer mum?" NO,i have not! i replied..."Do yer want to see some?" was the retort...And here,is no different :ninja:

You could also do it this way :

Take a feed from the warning light terminal of your alternator to the anode of a diode, cathode of the diode to terminal 85 of your relay. Take the other end of the relay coil (86) to the switched headlamp feed (before the dip/main beams switch).
Now supply a fused feed to terminal 30 of your relay and terminal 87 to your DRLs with the other side of them to a good earth.

Apologies for the long winded description of the circuit, i don't have schematic software on this computer.

This circuit powers the DRLs when the engine is running (and the alternator is charging) and the lights are off and turns them off when you switch the lights on. This (AFAIK) is the only legal way they should operate - what circuit you use to achieve that is optional though. This circuit does work, been using it on my Rover for several years now without any problems. It is fully automatic (as it should be) and because of the simplicity is very reliable.

Hope it helps!

Reply to DRL's on a switch/relay in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net