Discuss Earth Leakage clamp meters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I want to invest in one of these, it's primary function will be for me to measure the mA on circuits where IT is in use, it seems they can be useful to determine where a fault might be on a circuit, I would be greatful for you opinions on these options.What i can't quite fathom and hoping someone can shed light on is the ranges, I want to read right down from say 1 mA - 30 mA, there is also a huge price difference on these products.

ATB J

TM-EL9809 High Resolution AC Earth Leakage Clamp Meter

Metrel MD 9270 Earth leakage clamp with Power functions

Short answer: Both would be fine Jimmy.

Note that neither do DC though (which may not matter unless you're into Solar/car electrics). Also the max voltage on the TM is 400V (may be an issue).

The reason for the price difference (£100) is the Metrel is a TRMS meter (it will compensate for some of the contamination effects from harmonics and the like) and will give you a "more accurate reading" (without the distortion effects). The metrel will also allow you to view the harmonics and power factor for a supply.

The TM-EL9809 would be perfectly adequate for earth leakage in IT environments (appropriate resolution of 10microAmps and a 40milliAmp range) and has the hold, min, max functions (very useful when trying to find intermittent/quickly occuring faults).

Perhaps I might go for the Metral then is it the 9270 you have Topquark ?
J
I have two clamp meters. I have the Metrel MD9270 and an AlphaTek TEK 633 (no longer available).

The Metrel has nice big jaws (slightly bigger internal space than a 50p piece). The AlphaTek only just fits on the tip of my thumb (so would be inadequate for anything over 35mm).

The only reason I bought the Metrel was because the AlphaTek had gone awol. I had lent it to a friend's son for an electrical problem on his car (it works with DC) and was convinced I had put it back in the van afterwards (but hadn't :banghead:) and they bought it around a couple of months after I'd purchased the Metrel.

Both quite capable of doing most jobs.

I've got the Metrel MD9270 it's the dogs nuts mate. I tested just about every earth leakage meter on the market before making my decision and it was the stand out meter regardless of price.

I've got the Metrel MD9270 it's the dogs nuts mate. I tested just about every earth leakage meter on the market before making my decision and it was the stand out meter regardless of price.

Thats very reassuring to hear, could you give me some examples of what types of circuits and /or faults these meters come in to their own ? TBH never seen the need for one up till now as most of my work is maintenance and smaller installs, now I am doing some IT circuits with high integrity earthing I feel the need for one.

Thanks J

It's a useful tool where you can't, or don't want to, isolate the installation. Maybe just for a first look. For instance, a significant current down the main earthing conductor can indicate poor insulation resistance or a neutral-earth fault without having to disconnecting anything. You can learn a bit more by turning loads and circuits on and off and seeing how the current changes.

It's a useful tool where you can't, or don't want to, isolate the installation. Maybe just for a first look. For instance, a significant current down the main earthing conductor can indicate poor insulation resistance or a neutral-earth fault without having to disconnecting anything. You can learn a bit more by turning loads and circuits on and off and seeing how the current changes.

Why would you want to isolate an installation when your trying to find possible leakage currents that's affecting the operation of an RCD device?? Competently used, a leakage clamp meter can/will pin point abnormal sources of leakage current(s), as well as many other aspects, over and above those suggested above...

a significant current down the main earthing conductor can indicate poor insulation resistance or a neutral-earth fault without having to disconnecting anything. .

Hi HS,

I find clamping the Earthing conductor misleading, as often you can measure more mA than it would take to trip a 30mA RCD even in a correctly functioning installation.

I wonder if this reading is actually imported ?

A better test is to clamp both tails as this shows how much leakage is present in the installation.
I often do this prior to a CU change, as any significant readings here shows that you will have to test much further before the change, as you are likely to have problems once RCD's are fitted.

Last edited:
Why would you want to isolate an installation when your trying to find possible leakage currents that's affecting the operation of an RCD device??

I don't know; I didn't say anything about an RCD.

But, for example, I knew that I had a problem that needed sorting before I replaced my old fuseboard with a new RCBO CU because I stuck the clamp meter on the earthing conductor and found amps rather than mA. All I'm saying is that, even on a domestic installation, it's a useful non-disruptive tool. When I actually came to pinpoint the fault, then it was a case of breaking down the circuit and getting the MFT out.

A better test is to clamp both tails as this shows how much leakage is present in the installation.
I often do this prior to a CU change, as any significant readings here shows that you will have to test much further before the change, as you are likely to have problems once RCD's are fitted.

Good point, I'd forgotten to mention that.

I don't know; I didn't say anything about an RCD.

But, for example, I knew that I had a problem that needed sorting before I replaced my old fuseboard with a new RCBO CU because I stuck the clamp meter on the earthing conductor and found amps rather than mA. All I'm saying is that, even on a domestic installation, it's a useful non-disruptive tool. When I actually came to pinpoint the fault, then it was a case of breaking down the circuit and getting the MFT out.

OK, ...my mistake, i understand what you were saying now. lol!!!

Reply to Earth Leakage clamp meters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock