Discuss Effects of Scratches on Solar Panels? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm seeking professional, third party advice. We recently had a system of LG NeON R 370 solar panels professionally installed on our home roof- 16 panels, so just under 6kW for the whole system. Unfortunately, the installers did not do a good job. To get the panels up to the roof, they placed them face down (pv side down) on the extension ladder and then used a rope to pull them up the length of the ladder. This resulted in long scratches along the length of almost all of the panels (see attached photo for an example). At the time, the installer said the scratches shouldn't be an issue at all for electrical output or for the long term durability of the system. However, our own research suggests otherwise.

Fortunately, we've raised this to our solar company's attention, and they've been apologetic and (thankfully) willing to make it right. But, they've left us with some options for how we'd prefer they correct the issue (substantial discount, "wait and see" what impact it might have and rectify the issue later if it affects output, replace the panels outright, as well as a couple additional options).

To make an informed choice, I'm hoping to get professional opinions from some folks not otherwise involved in this unfortunate situation about what the likely impact on output and durability will be. To what extent are these scratches likely to affect output? In the short term or the long term? How about for long-term durability? From what I've seen on the internet, the impact on output in the short-term might be limited, though there might be some small effects on output right around the scratches. But, I've read than the scratches may affect output more in the long-term and that the defects might cause the panels to degrade a lot faster than they would otherwise (while also likely invalidating the manufacturer's warranty). But, there are also differences of opinion on this and many of the posts and threads I've found are older. So, given how much technology has changed, I'm wondering (hoping?) that maybe today's panels are better/more durable than older panels?

Also, as a secondary question, a friend suggested trying to use toothpaste to work out the scratches (similar to what you can do on a car scratch). We have not tried this, but I am curious for people's thoughts on whether this is even worth trying. And, even if it might help with the visible scratch (which isn't really my concern), would it change anything about the longer-term effects on output or durability?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

Attachments

• Effects of Scratches on Solar Panels? IMG_20191111_143325451_HDR - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20191111_143325451_HDR.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 25
I'm seeking professional, third party advice. We recently had a system of LG NeON R 370 solar panels professionally installed on our home roof- 16 panels, so just under 6kW for the whole system. Unfortunately, the installers did not do a good job. To get the panels up to the roof, they placed them face down (pv side down) on the extension ladder and then used a rope to pull them up the length of the ladder. This resulted in long scratches along the length of almost all of the panels (see attached photo for an example). At the time, the installer said the scratches shouldn't be an issue at all for electrical output or for the long term durability of the system. However, our own research suggests otherwise.

Fortunately, we've raised this to our solar company's attention, and they've been apologetic and (thankfully) willing to make it right. But, they've left us with some options for how we'd prefer they correct the issue (substantial discount, "wait and see" what impact it might have and rectify the issue later if it affects output, replace the panels outright, as well as a couple additional options).

To make an informed choice, I'm hoping to get professional opinions from some folks not otherwise involved in this unfortunate situation about what the likely impact on output and durability will be. To what extent are these scratches likely to affect output? In the short term or the long term? How about for long-term durability? From what I've seen on the internet, the impact on output in the short-term might be limited, though there might be some small effects on output right around the scratches. But, I've read than the scratches may affect output more in the long-term and that the defects might cause the panels to degrade a lot faster than they would otherwise (while also likely invalidating the manufacturer's warranty). But, there are also differences of opinion on this and many of the posts and threads I've found are older. So, given how much technology has changed, I'm wondering (hoping?) that maybe today's panels are better/more durable than older panels?

Also, as a secondary question, a friend suggested trying to use toothpaste to work out the scratches (similar to what you can do on a car scratch). We have not tried this, but I am curious for people's thoughts on whether this is even worth trying. And, even if it might help with the visible scratch (which isn't really my concern), would it change anything about the longer-term effects on output or durability?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.
I certainly be asking them to replace the panels the scratches will effect the life expectancy of the panel does depend how deep the scratches are some panels have a plastic coating on them others are just protected by a cardboard box for transit from new itll certainly leave them open to deteriation from such as bird droppings seems a poor way of getting them on the roof at least some protection should have been used like a sheet of cardboard its so easy to do. I certainly would be asking them to replace them not sure how long the warranty they gave you on the panels and where they a reputable company. As far as using toothpaste on the scratches think this could effect the waranty.

Toothpaste (and sometimes Autosol polish) will take light scuffing from plastic if you are lucky. It certainly won't remove gouges that you can put your fingernail in.

The scratches also may hold moisture and dirt and cause problems that way. I would be wanting them replaced. As you say, the manufacturer is not going to honour any future warranty claims if there is evidence of them being badly handled or installed.

I would get them replaced while the solar firm is still around. If they've done that with a lot of customers, it only takes a percentage to complain at the same time to be enough to liquidate the company.

Especially given the fact the industry isnt expanding at the rate it used to be with subsidies some years ago.

Can't comment on the said company obviously.

But if the offer is there to have them perfect. Perfect them at their cost. ASAP too.

Keep us posted.

This is one of the silliest examples of poor installation technique I've ever heard of.

Those LG panels are top quality. One of the most expensive panels on the market.

As a customer, you wouldn't accept a new car with scratches like that on it. Don't you deserve solar panels in great condition?

Replacement for definite, I would also ensure they replace with like for like brand and model to ensure they do not try to balance losses with a cheaper lesser quality version.

It seems the company is willing to take full responsibility and rectify in a manner of your choosing so in agreement with other posters here, as they are damaged the company themselves have probably lost the warranty on the panels so any future issues could see you been fobbed off down the line if you accept them as they are, get it sorted now with like for like replacements.

Thanks all for the helpful responses and recommendations to replace. I'm curious, though, if anyone has an estimate on the extent to which durability would be affected? Would they likely last 10-15 years rather than the 25-30 offered by the warranty? We are debating the discount route- if they last half as long, I might be willing to pay half, for example and then upgrade to better panels later with what we save now- especially if overall output wouldn't be greatly affected. Thoughts?

The scratches may look just aesthetical but it is hard to say it won't let moisture penetrate and damage the cells, If you are to go down the road of a reduced cost the the risk is totally on you, if the panels fail within an agreed warranty period then you have to hope they are still trading... hence our suggestion to go in for replacements.

Last edited:
The only sensible way to test which panels are underperforming would be to put either micro-inverter or optimisers on each panel. You may find that a panel with minor scratches performs worse than a panel with serious scratches.

Solar Edge would be my choice if you were to go down this route. It means changing the inverter if you originally had a string inverter. (Tigo offer an optimiser which might also do the job but we are not big fans of that brand.) I'm not sure, however, that I'd trust your installer to do the installation correctly!

Any deterioration in performance might take a few months or years to become apparent so I'd be requesting a whole new set of panels.

It would depend on how much of a discount they are offering. It is not going to be cheap for them to replace the panels especially if there is scaffolding involved and it has already been taken down as they will be virtually starting from scratch again. Solar panels were alot more expensive( my system cost ÂŁ12,500 around 7 years ago, but I get a far better FIT rate) and the cost will continue to fall. If they were to say, give you say a 40% reduction on the cost, as you have stated, in several years you could replace the panels again, for probably more efficient panels than are now available at a cost possibly less than what they are offering you as a discount.
I suspect that the panels that you have got will be just fine in the long term. it is difficult to see how severe, the scratches are( you are not supposed to be able to scratch glass except with a diamond, although my window cleaner managed it with the metal end of his rubber water scraper(?) whilst trying to move a bit of bird poo and ended up replacing the sealed unit. You might find it is just the anti reflective coating that is put on the surface of the glass that has taken a battering

Thanks all for the helpful replies. We've requested replacement panels from the installer and they've agreed (though that work has not yet been completed). Fingers crossed the rest of this goes more smoothly than the first part.

Reply to Effects of Scratches on Solar Panels? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock