Discuss Electric shower and no RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Raptor0014

Esteemed
Reaction score
Evening all.

Doing a EICR in a rental today and presented with this.

installation date is 1992 and there seems to be no records since.

At some point in the recent past someone has added a electric shower circuit. Obviously a smash and grab merchant as no earth sleeve and it was the same in the pull switch.

The 32a MCB is the shower. Now I know a circuit supplying a location containing a bath or shower with no RCD is a C3

But something is irking me that with this being the shower itself then it should have a RCD so I am leaning to a C2. However I can’t seem to find anything to support that.

Before I go slapping an unsatisfactory on the EICR thought I’d garner option on here.
20A2EC9B-F2F4-46F0-9935-BC829D352878.jpeg
Ta in advance.

Raptor

Thought lack of rcd in a bathroom (room containing a bath and or shower) was a C2 now

unless supplementry bonding was present and varified

Thought lack of rcd in a bathroom (room containing a bath and or shower) was a C2 now

unless supplementry bonding was present and varified

Bonding is in place on the gas and all the water pipes as I checked and tested them. Tenant nearly fell over my wander lead twice, despite it being bright green and me warning her ?

The manufacturers installation instructions in recent years for any shower will likely say an RCD MUST be installed. If that is the case, then C2.
Just found them online. So that’s a C2 then as you say. Thanks. ????

Plus it should be on a 40a MCB not a 32 as per their instructions.

At least I have something as evidence now for the landlord and estate agent.

D8155AD5-36ED-4F0B-9F0B-6A28C362CCD3.jpeg

It is not a requirement, only if circuit installation methods specify it, the manufacturer is misrepresenting the regulations although the regulations also say follow manufacturer's guidelines but they have not presented the guidance in that manner, they have clearly not understood current regulations. If they expressed rcd cover is required then that would have been within guidance of the regulations but they stated a false fact to come to the same requirement.

It is not a requirement, only if circuit installation methods specify it, the manufacturer is misrepresenting the regulations although the regulations also say follow manufacturer's guidelines but they have not presented the guidance in that manner, they have clearly not understood current regulations. If they expressed rcd cover is required then that would have been within guidance of the regulations but they stated a false fact to come to the same requirement.
Doesn't say a requirement of wiring regs. Just 'a requirement', so presumably a requirement of their own.

I would give it a C2 for the lack of RCD, and a C3 for the under rated breaker.

C2 on n my watch. reason...you have to allow for stupid: .a C2 unsatisfactory worst case is the customer/landlord will need to spend a few quid. A C3 and then nsomeone gets injured, it' s up befoer the judge for sparky. CYA.

In full agreement Tel, we should be working / assessing an installation to ensure it complies to the highest safety standards

lack of rcd nowadays is not satisfactory especially not in bathrooms/ showerooms

the person doing the eicr should ask themselves would I install a new power shower without putting it on an rcd , I hope not

You wouldn’t do it now, but you might need to know when the shower was installed, to see if it was a requirement then. There might be a manufacturing date inside.

Speak to the landlord before completing the eicr, and suggest a board change. Get everything covered by rcd that now needs it. He gets his satisfactory eicr on completion.

Reply to Electric shower and no RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net