Discuss Electrician starting advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Greetings
Is 45 a bit long in the tooth to start out as a sparky?
I’ve only got my 2391-52 exam left to do in two weeks time. After that, it’s prep for AM2.
Spoke to a chap at a work expo recently. He said that without an ECS card, I wouldn’t have scoobydoo of getting work on any kind of construction site, be it domestic, commercial or industrial.
Advice given by some top peeps on here, electricians mate is the best way to get started. Yes?
And being cheeky, does anyone know anyone in the general Cambridgeshire region who’ll be willing to take a risk on a 45 year old kiwi who, wile limited in experience, isn’t too shabby with theory?
Gary

Lots of electricians don’t have an ecs card
There is plenty of work in buildings that are already built.
P.s. I haven’t got one as I have no interest in working in the construction industry.

Last edited:
I have an ECS card and don't use it, but that's because I'm self employed with mainly all private customers.

Yes it is advantageous to have if you are intending to work employed or self employed on large sites as it is the accepted standard.

Check out the positions you would be interested in applying for and their requirements, this should give you an indication of what you may need.

Had one and only ever asked for it once.

45 is no too old to take up a trade , just look after your back and knees otherwise it will be a short career

Always had a JIB card. Asked for it a couple of times, often with agencies etc. However strangely those asking for it generally aren't actually prepared to pay the JIB rates of pay. Go figure.

Reply to Electrician starting advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock