Discuss Emergency Lighting questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, going to be doing a few emergency lighting installations (non-maintained) and just need some clarification on the paperwork that needs to be issued.

Have read the IET guide to emergency lighting which didnt quite clarify everything.

from what I can see I need to issue :

1- Emergency Lighting Completion Certificate
2 - Design - Declaration of Conformity
3 - Installation - Declaration of Conformity
4. Verification -Declaration of Conformity

I know I also have to make a log book available, in a small domestic HMO (4 rooms) can this be an a4 sheet I make up myself and place in position? as it will only need annual testing?

Also, the "photometric data" that needs to be issued isn't really explained. Is this data on the lights that have been installed (simply from the manufacturer) or is it more complex calculations based on the system you create.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mark

The scam you are registered with, will have the certs, Design, install & commission....variation is only required if design is altered from BS5266.
EM`s will require 1 x 20 minute test and 1 x 3hr discharge test per year.
With HMO, the design will be done by BC when appying for the licence.

Thanks, ill be making up my own certs. When you say the design will be done by BC do you mean the design certificate, the photometric design data or both?

If your working on a HMO, building control (Local Council) will inspect the premises, prior to issuing a HMO licence. The will state with basic drawings what they require, fire alarm, em lighting, extinguishers, fire blankets, fire doors etc...When the inspect the final work they will pass the premises. Word of warning, don`t start work until they have given jobs to be completed first.

If your working on a HMO, building control (Local Council) will inspect the premises, prior to issuing a HMO licence. The will state with basic drawings what they require, fire alarm, em lighting, extinguishers, fire blankets, fire doors etc...When the inspect the final work they will pass the premises. Word of warning, don`t start work until they have given jobs to be completed first.
ah, ok they haven't on this occasion, they have just stated they need an "Emergency lighting system conforming to BS 5226"

I was under the impression by your post, as well a Doomed, you were after cert help.
The two things I need help with is clarification on what is required in terms of "Photometric data"
and if a log book can just consist of a piece of paper to keep track of testing etc

Using the Photometric data from the manufactures, will give you the spacing between fittings required to achieve the minimum of 1 Lux. So using the data, a fitting may cover 10m x 10m at a height of 3m. and produces 20 lux at the center position. It must still maintain more than 1 lux over the complete 100m sq to comply. The Photometric data will give you this info on coverage area a lux level distance
Log books can easily be purchased from your local outlet....with weekly, and periodic test.

Using the Photometric data from the manufactures, will give you the spacing between fittings required to achieve the minimum of 1 Lux. So using the data, a fitting may cover 10m x 10m at a height of 3m. and produces 20 lux at the center position. It must still maintain more than 1 lux over the complete 100m sq to comply. The Photometric data will give you this info on coverage area a lux level distance
Log books can easily be purchased from your local outlet....with weekly, and periodic test.

Brilliant, thanks

The two things I need help with is clarification on what is required in terms of "Photometric data"
and if a log book can just consist of a piece of paper to keep track of testing etc

Don't use a piece of paper... Paper will be easily misplaced, torn etc... Like davesparks said, SYAM books are the best, I maintain buildings across the country and they're the best books about IMO in terms of clarity and detail provided within.

Reply to Emergency Lighting questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net