Discuss Exposed copper wire under the floorboards after rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agreed but even if they are original and now unused cables, I would expect to see them in an enclosure

Of course everybody is assuming that the exposed terminals are part of the rewire and not the original wiring.
Just saying.
Even if by some twist of fate that birds nest joint was the original wiring , Imo any sparks worth their salt during a full rewire should of at very least put it all in a choc box or adaptable box

is that relic mushroom free without a cable tie and bare cpc's twisted oiutside the box??
I save JBs for the Rolls Royce Jobs , normally I just twist the wires together and sling the whole mess under the floor boards....

Isn't that what every one does ???

I have to say after reading through the thread from the start until the picture of the consumer unit, I was fully expecting to see a BG split load board.

Haha I was going to say the exact same thing, as soon as you see a BG split load board with no SPD on a new consumer unit you know its gunna be rough... Cheapest consumer unit Screwfix sell.

Personally I just don't give customers the choice, I fit Hager, if they want something cheaper they can go with someone else, clearly this is the result.. Worst thing for the OP is I bet they weren't cheap either.. I know as electricians we always moan about other peoples work as we all like to do things our own way etc but I think we can unanimously all agree that is as rough as old boots, how have these people been allowed to continue in the industry, I blame the CPS's, NICEIC should not be suggesting the customer make an official complaint to the company, with such poor workmanship they should be coming out and checking and then chucking that company out of their scheme and banning that person from joining and telling NAPIT about him so he cant join them.. But of course they just want their money..

another small gripe is the internal tails feeding the RCDs. in the wqy. i usually take them out to wire in the circuis, then refit them after. sometimes i even get them in the right order.

Just reading the Toolstation flyer that arrived by post offering "18th edtition" Contactum CUs dual RCD without SPD. Really?
DIY market , it is huge. A few months ago I looked at a job where the retired home owner attempted his own board change purchased on sale from Toolstation but one of his RCDs kept tripping out. He couldn't find the borrowed N on the lighting

1. SPDs are optional,not mandatory.
True, but if not fitted there should be a risk assessment to justify it. Which I doubt happens in most cases.

My gripe is more about the stupid "18th edition" naming. You could argue that "17th amendment 3" makes sense for the metal CU that became a requirement then, but if calling it "18th" then what was added if it is not the SPD?

Reply to Exposed copper wire under the floorboards after rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net